Vigotec VG-L7 (BX20)

Thank you for adding the details for the firmware install. :slight_smile: Is the metal engraving hack you refer to using moly lube?

No sir. Mustard layer.

3 Likes

Ah yes the mustard hack, forgot about that one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me its the best working hack. All my knife finishing are brut de forge. Carbon steel.

2 Likes

I have no electronics experience, but I have again taken the cover off my VG-L7 (BX20). I feel the problem is with the small control board (Neje laser module) that came with the laser. I have the feeling that the VG controler can go direct to the laser. I have again added some pics with a wiring diagram as it is wired up. The wiring at present will not control the laser at all. only run the motors.
It is the green cable which goes from the small module to the laser, the 3 cores red, yell and black could these go direct and is there a cable that can connect to the green cable.
I dearly hope someone can help me I have had this machine at least 18 months. Probably the best idea would be change the software buy a new controler and try a fresh start. In the meantime I have my fingers crossed that you or some electronic person can help me.

I honestly cannot figure out what would be the issue unless you have something wired wrong, or the firmware is corrupted. I’ve never heard of having to use 2 power supplies unless you have a bad one, or, as I said before, its wired wrong? Also, I’ve found that the machine is picky as to which usb port I use on my laptop. Here are pictures of it being wired correctly.
My apologies for not responding sooner, I just saw these emails from maker forum because others got buried andi just missed them.

3 Likes

Wait whut?!? What is this Hack that can allow me to deal with metals?

It’s spreading a thin layer of mustard on the metal and then etching over it. Leaves a black image mark.

It’s been discussed here before. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And here!

2 Likes

Thanks Mark for your assumption, I will check this out further, a 3 core cable goes from the controller to the laser which is suppling power, 12v I think cant remember but I tested it. As I said the swiches Laser on and Laser low switch to on or off but do not control the laser. You dont need to opologise, better late than never. Now I can investigate as I didnt know if the 2nd power to laser was needed.

Hello Mark, I have checked the wiring which appears that it can only be wired as it is but I could be wrong.I will attach photos showing the small controller which came with the laser, I had thought maybe I dont need this . But the one problem is the laser has a 4 pole socket. My original controller which I have replaced because the socket for the printer cable broke away as only 2 from the 4 soldered fixings were not soldered. This controller has 2 cables for the laser, 1x 3core and 1x 2core. These 2 cable will not fit to a 4 pole laser connection. That is why I used the controller which came wioth the laser. the 2 cable 2 and 3 pole fit to this small controler and a 4 core cable supplied with the laser goes to the Laser, The laser ich habe is a KKmoon 3500mW / 6000 mW / 7000 mW / 20 W Watt 450nm Blaulicht Laserko photo sketch as wired witth 12v, without 12v nothing happens. Hope you find a solution.

pf. 7000mW

Hello Mark, have you seen my reply with pics of the wiring?

Hello everyone!

Also bought the same unit & brand VG-L7 (BX20) last March. I’ve been very happy with it and made a lot projects that sold of.

However, recently the laser strength seems to have weakened. It began after I have used the machine for 6 hours straight, only stopping a minute or two to change wooden pine boards then continue engraving. After that day, the laser strength is no longer the same.

Without changing any parameters on the software, or focus on the laser lens. It can no longer engrave deeply as it used to. In some instances it cannot even etched on a portion of a letter being engraved on the wood.

QUESTION: Is this a sign that the laser module laserhead needs to be replaced? Thank you in advance for your answers!

I hope this also serve as a red light not to abused your laser as I just did.

Have you checked to see if the lens needs cleaning? Unless you have an air assist helping to keep the lens clear you can end up with deposited material on the lens from the smoke.

2 Likes

I wonder if these laser heads are temperature protected?

2 Likes

Well they do claim continuous operation with the fan on.

2 Likes

It’s clear. But will heed your advise and clean it. But when do other brands require the laser module laserhead replaced? What are the indicators? Thanks as always!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t mention in manual or their site.

I think the diode is dying. Most chinese manufactorers overprower the diode (too much current) to reach better cutting performance, but this can overheat the diode and destroy it.

2 Likes

I think so too. I have already ordered a replacement part. It’s due to arrive this June 30th. Will let everyone know in this forum how it will turn out. Again, thank you all for the inputs!

3 Likes