Marking Metal with Mustard‽

Via hackaday which has some interesting comments, we have a video that suggests marking steel with a moderately heavy coat of plain yellow mustard on a blue solid state laser. The rest of the video is suggesting doing a google search for “shx fonts” to get some single-line fonts for use in LightBurn, and his latest iteration of an air assist tool for Ortur engravers.

:warning: Maker Forums regulars will cringe at the lack of enclosure with interlocks, as well as trusting the green goggles that came with the unit. :warning:

For reference, here is maybe the best thread on Maker Forums about moly lube vs cermark:

1 Like

Well that old post reminds me I never did try to reverse engineer Ceramark. :rofl:. The patent gives you the composition target. But the challenge is getting the right glass size and clay size which is treated as proprietary information.

1 Like

What is old is new again! From 2017

2 Likes

Proving that I didn’t actually read every post that I imported from G+! I should have searched for “mustard” before posting, eh? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah! I thought the mustard thing sounded familiar :slight_smile:

I was reading what @mcdanlj initially posted and was getting ready to write this exact thing. :rofl:

Before I post anything in my toolbox I always search to see if I’ve posted it before or if anyone else has posted it. There is a lot of information here and it is very easy to overlook it. If I find something that has been years in the past, I will bring it forward again so that new people can see it. That is a reason the toolbox gets updated less and less! :smile:

2 Likes