Trying to button up my Prusa I2 and have a question about 12v power.

Trying to button up my Prusa I2 and have a question about 12v power. I have the E3D hotend and it is recommended that the cooling fan be hooked up to 12v directly instead of a controllable fan port. Aside from connecting it directly to my power supply is there a port on the RAMPS board to connect the fan to that would allow it to turn on when my power supply is turned on. I would connect it directly to the power supply but I disconnect the power supply for transportation as it is not mounted to my printer.

You can jam the fan’s wire right in there with the power wires if you’re disconnecting the PSU further upstream. Other than that, the RAMPS only has controllable 12V outputs.

I was afraid of that. Thanks. I think what I’ll do is connect a detachable plug into the power supply plug with a matching plug on the fan. That way when I detach the power supply I can also detach the fan. Something to note for my next generation printer.

You’re totally right, @John_Ridley . I don’t know if the ready-made RAMPS come with a pin header soldered in, but that would be the perfect place to hook up a fan to.