Root 3 CNC - MKS DLC V2.0

I used Estlcam software and then exported it as a .nc file. I then imported it into OpenBuilds Control.

Is the etslcam setup properly for Grbl exports? Looks like googling that error code it has to do with improper formatting for Grbl. Does Grbl take G03 arc codes properly… Or formatted in that way?

1 Like

This is what I have in Estlcam:

I tried unchecking the arc box but that didn’t do so well when it tried to cut a test part.

I’m planning to change to a 32-bit board in order to run arcs.

Still making ovals instead of circles. I’m stumped!

Does it do the same thing if you air cut? Use it as a crazy plotter and draw with a sharpie? If you feed at half the speed, does it change shape at all?

Yes it does it mid air. You can see it stop halfway through the circle and then finish the rest.

I will have to try it slower. I’m sure it will do the same.

Pretty much rules out skipped steps then. Just wanted to make sure…

Yes it does the same thing at 100mm/s. Just makes lemons.

just out of curiosity did you verify the X and Y step/mm are correct by having it move 100mm in X and measure what it moved then have it move 100mm in Y and measure how much it moved?

I didn’t measure it but visually it looked like it moved the same distance when I moved X and Y 100mm.

if you are doing CNC you will need to do measuring at some point so it’s a good idea to get at least a mm and inch ruler and probably a caliper too. Just eyeballing things won’t get you very far when trying to figure stuff out unless you are a Terminator and have that function builtin.

If you scroll up a bit you can see the “mean dog” I cut right before I started having issues. I doubt it would be off that much to not cut a small circle.

Tomorrow I’m sure I will be out there messing around with it again.

if it will do that to proper scale and dimensions then I doubt it’s the machine and is probably the gcode. DId you try to import the gcode into a simulator to verify it’s not doing what its being told to do?

Also, try swapping the socketed drivers and see if the shape of the circle changes…

They aren’t socketed, they are external TB6600 drivers.

I hate to suggest this, but really do test with another sender. UGS has gotten a lot of use.

1 Like

Maybe someone here can send me the gcode for a simple circle.

I did test the x and y axis. They both move 100mm each like they should.

I’m going to try Repetier Host instead of OpenBuilds.

I feel like the issue is with Estlcam. Once I made the change to the arc option it all went to hell. But with the gcode imported into OpenBuilds Control it shows it making a circle but it is definitely not cutting one mid air. I’ve thought about swapping one of the TB6600 to see if that helps.

Unlikely to be Estlcam especially if the sender shows a circle.

The fact that the circles all look the same and there is relatively smooth travel in each axis makes me doubt the stepper drivers are at fault.

This is why I keep recommending testing UGS. It is really common for gcode senders to not merely send gcode, but also translate between dialects. It is my understanding that UGS does a good job of this.

Lots of 8-bit firmware doesn’t even implement arc (G2 and G3) at all. Converting them to segments bloats the gcode but if it is done in the sender, then the sender can make a difference by managing the queue well. It can be the difference between stalling and running smooth.

3 Likes

once I saw that this problem showed up once the CAM software was changed to generate arcs(G2/G3) it sure sounds like the firmware isn’t implementing the arcs correctly. This would explain why the simulators or even the sender might show a circle and the execution by the machine is different. Michael makes a good point of another issue could also be way too many segments flooding the firmware buffer.

You can look at the gcode to see if it’s sending G2/G3 gcode or lots of segments. And just turn off the arc support in the CAM and run the gcode in the air to validate it is the arc command. You can also lookup if the version of GRBL supports arcs. IIRC GRBL 1.1f does but you should verify.

2 Likes

I tried UGS. Same results with and without arc mode set in Estlcam. Lots of lemons.

I also swapped around the TB6600 drivers but still same results.

Might be time to switch to a different board or wheel this out in the alley with a free sign on it?

Have you tried Kiri:Moto for toolpath generation? http://grid.space