I dried 2 spools of PETG in the oven at 170°F which is as

I dried 2 spools of PETG in the oven at 170°F which is as low as it would go. But not the filament seems to have fused together in some areas and snaps while printing :confused: any ideas?

1 Like

170 is probably too hot for PETG. It’s soft around that temperature in some brands. Never had a single roll of PETG need to be dried and I’ve been printing it for years. What was the issue in the first place?

1 Like

Lot of popping as it came out of the extruder. Lots of air bubbles in the print and the crappiest surface finish i had even seen

Temperature is ok (Tg depending on suplier from 167 to 190°F) but how long did you dried it?

3 hours

You should never dry PETG over 85-90 C, other than that and you expect some issues like filament size and such

Not sure how much 170F is but thats as low as my oven would go

I use this setup for drying. Works perfectly for me.

Awesome! Ill definitely get that set up :slight_smile:

Make sure you use an incandescent bulb and not an LED

Got it

I would suggest storage in 5 gal buckets with large descent pack. I use ULine packs at work. https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline.com/Cls_39/Desiccants?keywords=Desiccants

Looking for something that can be reused. Like throw it in the oven for a few hours and reuse

I think the petg was too dry. Then it snaps easily

I thought it snapped easily when it was too wet?

I thought PETG was hydrophobic and didn’t absorb water? I have had some that bubbled and popped straight out of the bag. Put it down to poor manufacturing. I live in 90%+ humidity (singapore) PLA gets weird after a few days left out. PETG seems to print the same several weeks later.

Not only did it pop but it printed out terribly with a very rough surface finish and lack of color. Not to mention opaque when the filament was clearn. Threw it in the oven and it printed great again (other than the fact that it fused) printed out a nice solid translucent vase and there was no popping of hissing of any sort. But no all FDM filaments absorb water. PLA and PETG are some of the more forgiving they wont show signs of it for a while but theyre still pulling water from the air

Silica Gel desecents can be recharged (dried) by placing in oven 255 f 6-12 hrs.

Sadly i have yet to buy that. Its in my amazon cart thou lol