Hello everyone, I'm new to not only to CNC but to google+ and communities.

The real congrats goes to Anthony for the patience.

5052 1/4” Aluminum, all American man!

Lol right. Had to wait for the bolts and nuts that were missing and now the jumpers. I’m broke ATM so it’ll be a bit before I get the money for plate and c beams to raise my y’s. I may just use 40x40 instead of a full cbeam. Thinking about going ahead and replacing 1000mm y’s with 1500 when I do in order to give me more length for making cabinet doors. I found the acmes online and I can get the c beams from you @Brandon_Satterfield . Would there be any issues in doing so? Im going to cut new end plates when I do and add braces along the length on outside.

@Anthony_Box sorry about the wait bud, shows one day on the shipment. Let us know if that’s not true.

1500 C-Beam. In order to run this you would need dampers of some sorts. The ACME whips too much at this length.

Hmm… Any suggestions? The acmes I’d be getting are 304 stainless if those are good? If not I can get others, I just have a deal on those for 75 a set of 2 at 1500mm

So, new issue. One of my Nema 23’s doesn’t work. Checked and double check all connections (again lol) and nothing. Didn’t notice it before because I mounted my y’s on the back and since I could hear motors humming, I assumed they all were. Thoughts @Brandon_Satterfield ?

So, I just in mounted the motor, and when I turn it by hand holding it in my palm, it makes a grating, almost like some bearings are bad.

Unmounted*

More of a tiny popping then grating I guess.

On a brighter note, the jumpers fixed my problem of no movement at all. This time when I tried to home my Z went up and down, then X started moving, but then one Y did and the other didn’t so it tried to twist my machine. Good thing I hadn’t screwed it down yet. I shut it off within a second but it probably wouldn’t have been good had it been attached to the table. As it was the whole machine just kinda turned a bit.

If it weren’t for bad luck, I’d have none at all

So, the issue isn’t the motor. Switched wires from that motor over to Z stepper, and vice versa, motor worked. But Z (plugged into Y1) didn’t. Killed power and took off Y1 stepper and there’s to culprit. It’s fried. Don’t know how or when, but it is.
Each station in my shop has its own power switch that shuts off the whole station, machines, outlets, everything, those all run to my 200A main breaker. Walk in, flip on the 200A (turns lights on) walk to station, flip switch to power station) flip station off, flip main off, leave. It’s like this for safety so if my kids ever go out to the shop (even though it’s always locked) they can’t accidently do anything. And I’m 6’4, so all my switches are 6’6 from the floor. My kids (that can walk) are 2, 3, and 5, so no way they can power anything up.
I never heard or smelled anything fry, so IDK what happened. Could it have been an effect of not having the jumpers on? I wouldn’t think so because it’s only the one.

Side note

Which direction is my X supposed to home to? The right if your looking at the machine correct? With it wire to the stepper red, green, blue, yellow, it tries to go left. Swap blue and yellow and it goes right. Also, swapping one pair of yellow blue for the y’s tries to make them go different directions along the y. I have to wire them both red green yellow blue also or they try to home to the front.

That is the sign of changing stepper motors wires while powered. Giant power surge plows the stepper stick. Jumping/ popping sound is wires. 3 attached one unattached, if you made a connection while holding the motor or looking at wires, that’s when this happened. Also could happen from installing the stick backwards, but doubt you removed the sticks.
Home to the right hand side on X.

Power down everything.

Plug both Y motors into the good stepper stick.
Change the pairs of only one motor.

Run.

All power has been off any time I did any wiring. As I said, safety is a thing with me, and it’d be kinda impossible to hold a motor in one hand, plug a wire in with the second, and tighten it with the screw or handle the other end it’s connecting to with the third since I don’t have a third hand. I plugged wires into sticks from left to right like in the video, so if Y1 did it, they all would have if it was something I did.

@Anthony_Box not sure bud, not a big thing will ship you out another. Wire up for now how we talked about above this will get you cutting now.

If the stick is a Max of 3 amps, and each motor is 2.8, wouldn’t running both through the same stick burn it up? If you say it’ll work I’ll try it I guess.

You said change the direction with $3? Can you explain. I worked maintenance and remodeling for 8 years so I know about wood, power, concrete, and plumbing, not much about programming lol

No problem brother, @Anthony_Box .
In the serial port box type $$
These are all your settings based on:

$3 is the direction port mask, this is how we invert certain axis without changing wires.
You are correct about the amperage max, there are ways to share voltage or current. The wire colors above will work for today while the new stick is headed your way.

ITS ALIVE!!! my creation, it’s alive! Muahahaa. Lol

Thanks @Colin_Kaminski for the help with the connection issue and @Brandon_Satterfield for shipping out the missing/broken parts quick and for help with my travel direction.

I’ll post some pics up when I get a chance to take some. Been running here and there doing things for the wife and getting things ready for the family gathering for Easter Sunday.

Congratulations! Now the work begins!

Great news @Anthony_Box hope you guys have a great Easter… hopefully you can slip away to the new toy occasionally…