Control panel switches for back AC outlets

Taking your hot (load) from the protected side of the e-switch is probably good. If you have a fire break out inside and don’t want to suck fire into your exhaust fan, for instance. :smiling_face:

@dwburger this is good advice because:

• Less wire is easier to trace
  • Less wire makes the cabinet better to work in
  • Running only the wires you need will help avoid opportunities for mistaken connections creating short circuits

Tripping the circuit breaker would not have happened from this without a short circuit somewhere, which wasn’t part of the original design. It’s easy to make a mistake with a maze of twisty little wires, very similar. :smiling_face:

No apologies needed…I really appreciate the help! I like the idea of an AC-DC converter replacing the resistor. OK on keeping the N and GND wires connected to the source AC. I like things consistent so I’m going to swap the AC wires to the power supply.

Thanks for the confirmation. Getting AC from the e-switch will streamline the whole project.

Here’s how I plan to wire the AC-DC converter:

1 Like

That looks right, and if the LED is brighter than you want, you can add a resistor in series on either the + or - side to make it dimmer.

SUCCESS!

My outlet tester did indicate there was an open neutral so I added a connection back to the neutral of the outlet (dotted yellow line in the diagram below).

The AC/DC converter doesn’t have mounting holes so I hot-glued it to the back of the aluminum control plate. I don’t like that solution so I’m going to print a base as an insulator between the converter and the control panel. I’ll wire up the rest of the buttons, organize the wires in spiral wrap and I think I’ll be good to go.
This has been quite an experience and I’ve learned a great deal. Thanks to @mcdanlj and @cprezzi for all the help!

2 Likes

On the home stretch! I agree, hot glue is a prototyping solution, not generally permanent.:grin:

2 Likes

I am happy I could help!