Whisperer no longer Initiates laser on Google Slate

Here is the original instructions I ran, and the step we are on. :slight_smile:

1. Create a udev control file four your laser cutter as root (i used nano because that’s the program I have) will use gedit in this example): sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/97-ctc-lasercutter.rules

Put the following text into the file and replace [VENDOR ID] and [PRODUCT ID] with the information you obtained from lsusb:
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1a86”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“5512”, ENV{DEVTYPE}==“usb_device”, MODE=“0664”, GROUP=“lasercutter”

{{{Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a86:5512 QinHeng Electronics CH341 in EPP/MEM/I2C mode, EPP/I2C adapter}}}
Now save the file.

So after I remove it and hit exit it asks me to save and i hit Y and then it asks “file name to write…etc”

I’m reading the official README_Linux.txt that is part of k40 whisperer.

No idea where you got the alternative instructions you are following. But that line does not belong in the file, I’m quite confident.

I’m going offline now. I suggest again that you remove it as I’ve been suggesting now several times. Not sure why not just doing following that suggestion. But as you wish.

1 Like

Sorry about the miscommunication on my end! I really appreciate you trying to help! I am using the Readme from scorchworks.com.

Removed the {{{ portion in the edit screen, hit enter and then tried python k40_whisperer.py
It opened the GUI and it was functional but still wouldn’t initiate the laser.

Setting up K40whisperer on Linux (by Dr. med. Jan Schiefer):

Requirements

Prerequirements:

• python
  • unzip
  • udev
  • inkscape

Instructions

1. Create a group for the users who are allowed to use the laser cutter: sudo groupadd lasercutter

2. Add your yourself to this group, replace [YOUR USERNAME] with your unix username: sudo usermod -a -G lasercutter [YOUR USERNAME]

3. Eventually add other users who will use the laser cutter to the group

4. Plug in your laser cutter to your computer

5. Create a udev control file four your laser cutter as root (i will use gedit in this example): sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/97-ctc-lasercutter.rules

Put the following text into the file and replace [VENDOR ID] and [PRODUCT ID] with the information you obtained from lsusb:
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1a86”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“5512”, ENV{DEVTYPE}==“usb_device”, MODE=“0664”, GROUP=“lasercutter”

Now save the file.

1. Reboot your computer!

2. Download and the K40whisperer source code, for example “K40_Whisperer-0.07_src.zip”

3. Unzip the source code, for example: unzip K40_Whisperer-0.07_src.zip -d /home/[YOUR USERNAME]/

4. Go to the K40 whisperer source directory, for example: cd /home/[YOUR USERNAME]/K40_Whisperer-0.07_src/

5. Install the requires python packages using the following commands:
    pip install lxml
    pip install pyusb
    pip install pillow
    pip install pyclipper

6. Run K40whisperer: python ./k40_whisperer.py
    11a. If K40 Whisperer starts but you cannot initialize the laser you can try running using the command: sudo python ./k40_whisperer.py
    If everything works that way you should revisit step 5. because the user is not able to access the usb port. You can always run using sudo but it is generally a bad practice.

7. Go to Setting → General settings

8. Select your laser control board name (usually LASER-M2 which is the default.)

9. If you click the “save” button in the general settings your current settings will be saved for future sessions.

I solved IT! So somehow it went from python ./k40_whisperer.py to python2 ./k40_whisperer.py…that is it! Does Python update on its own?

3 Likes

Python per se doesn’t update on its own, but I don’t know what ChromeOS does for updating the “Beta Linux” container. I don’t know what documentation Google has for that, either.

The fact that python --version said that it was version 2 makes it odd to me that it helped to run python2 instead of python. But :+1: for it working now…

4 Likes