Whisperer no longer Initiates laser on Google Slate

So when I run without root it opens like normal and the GUI works great EXCEPT for the Initialize Laser button. Then when I run sudo I get that error about PIL. And in the install README it talks about it opening and not initializing and to try the sudo command. No luck though.

Is there a way to remove everything sans inkscape and start over?

OK, so now we know where we are.

When you sudo python k40_whisperer.py it runs whisperer as the root user, which has no idea about your /home/carpmanfishhead directory and won’t find the versions you have installed.

I have no idea what is required for udev rules on the debian container on a chromebook. I don’t have one to test. So I guess focus on making it work OK as the root administrative user using the sudo command for now.

Try the apt-get commands to see if they work; they will resolve the problem if they do.

Type in “apt-get commands”?
Also trying it on a Macbook now. Whole new can of worms but at least it will be Ubuntu.

Most likely will have the same package names as ubuntu.

I’m just used to Fedora.

carpmanfishhead@penguin:~$ sudo apt-get install python-lxml python-usb python-pil python-pyclipper
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package python-pyclipper

ok, leave out python-pyclipper from that command line and try again.

1 Like

Done. Lots of text and then back to ready.

OK, now sudo python k40_whisperer.py again — it might succeed, or might complain that pyclipper is missing. But in any case if there is (as is likely) an error, paste the error here.

carpmanfishhead@penguin:~$ sudo python k40_whisperer.py
python: can’t open file ‘k40_whisperer.py’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
carpmanfishhead@penguin:~$ cd /home/carpmanfishhead/K40_Whisperer-0.55_src/
carpmanfishhead@penguin:~/K40_Whisperer-0.55_src$ sudo python ./k40_whisperer.py
Unable to load Pyclipper library (Offset trace outline will not work without it)
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “./k40_whisperer.py”, line 5738, in
root = Tk()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py”, line 1828, in init
self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className, interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
_tkinter.TclError: couldn’t connect to display “:0”

OK, two problems here…

sudo pip install pyclipper

This might be harder. I don’t know enough about the chrome Linux containers.

I wonder if the update lost your lasercutter group.

Run the command id and paste the output here.

Installed pyclipper.

command id text entry?

I don’t understand the question. It’s just a program that you run on the command line like the other programs you’ve been running…

So just type in “id” ?
id
uid=1000(carpmanfishhead) gid=1000(carpmanfishhead) groups=1000(carpmanfishhead),1001(chronos-access),665357(android-everybody),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),27(sudo),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),100(users),109(kvm),1002(lasercutter)

Sorry didn’t see the light grey box for input.

OK, that group still exists, and your user is still in that group.

Two more commands to run and provide full output:

lsusb
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/97-ctc-lasercutter.rules

carpmanfishhead@penguin:~/K40_Whisperer-0.55_src$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
carpmanfishhead@penguin:~/K40_Whisperer-0.55_src$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/97-ctc-lasercutter.rules
SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1a86”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“5512”, ENV{DEVTYPE}==“usb_device”, MODE=“0664”, GROUP=“lasercutter”
{{{Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a86:5512 QinHeng Electronics CH341 in EPP/MEM/I2C mode, EPP/I2C adapter}}}

MIND YOU I AM NOT CURRENTLY HOOKED UP TO LASER.

OK, you don’t have the laser cutter plugged in right now, it appears.

I don’t think you want that last line in your udev rules. I think you want to use the editor to remove the last line:

{{{Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a86:5512 QinHeng Electronics CH341 in EPP/MEM/I2C mode, EPP/I2C adapter}}}

You’ll need to use the same command as before to edit it, but remove that line…

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/97-ctc-lasercutter.rules

Only after that change, try connecting to the laser and do not use sudo to run whisperer.

Just:

python k40_whisperer.py

And see what happens.

carpmanfishhead@penguin:~/K40_Whisperer-0.55_src$ SUBSYSTEM==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1a86”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“5512”, ENV{DEVTYPE}==“usb_device”, MODE=“0664”, GROUP=“lasercutter”
-bash: ATTRS{idVendor}==“1a86”,: command not found

No.

That’s not a command.

That’s the line you need to remove.

Use the sudo nano command to edit the file.

Remove the line starting with {{{

Ah yes i remember this screen and I feel like this is where the issue is. It wouldn’t let me save it…or more likely I was making a mistake.