Transporting a large laser engraver

I am a teacher and have been offered a large Omtech 2440 laser that has been unboxed and barely used, but I have to coordinate moving it. In order to fit it through the doorway, I will need to tip it on its front or back. Then it needs to go into a moving truck for a few miles. I am concerned about the moving parts and the laser tube. Here are a few questions:

1. Should I remove the tube before tipping and moving the enclosure? I do not look forward to all the work this could entail if it is not needed.
  2. How sensitive are the other moving parts to a move like this? How can I secure them?
  3. Is it going to be better to flip it on its front to get through the door, but then put it back down for the rest of the move?
    Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Omtech 2440 laser
    Thanks all!
    Betsy

Wow, nice! Does the offer include a water chiller? (If not, consider that part of the cost of ownership!)

Wait for others with more expertise, but I’ll start by sharing my less-informed thoughts…

I would not remove the tube. I would tip the unit onto its back not its front. You typically want the heavy side down. You’ll want to cap and/or drain the tube. If you drain it, make sure that it’s full of water not bubbles before firing it after the move. :smiling_face:

I would tie the mirror head into one back corner so it doesn’t rattle around. Tie it gently so it doesn’t twist anything.

You may have to remove loose parts from the cutting area. For example, I don’t know whether the bed is fixed or rests free on lift components. I would remove all loose components before moving, after taking lots of pictures to make sure you know where everything goes when you arrive.

After a move, it’s not crazy that you’ll need to check mirror alignment. We have two guides in the FAQ for mirror alignment. Mirrors getting slightly misaligned will result in poor cutting power, typically inconsistently poor across the cutting surface.

It probably doesn’t matter a lot whether it’s on back or legs for the journey, but I’d personally tip it on its back only for going through the doorway(s).

2 Likes

I 2nd everything Michael said, especially shipping it upright, gently keeping the X axis to the back and laser head in corner position(not tight, just firm as if using a foam cushion to keep it from moving) and draining tube of liquid so it has as little mass as possible. Look inside all compartments for anything which is not held into place already and make sure it is.

3 Likes

We moved a Lasersaur from one room to another some time ago. Like others have said, do not remove the tube - you risk cracking it, and you will have to readjust everything afterwards.

Expect that you will need to realign the mirrors after the move in any case.

If the lid is mounted on gas springs, as on the Lasersaur, I advise to loosen them first so that the lid doesn’t open violently when you tip the machine.

1 Like

That’s a large marge… Will it fit through the proposed door in any orientation?

I moved my China Blue about 100 miles to our new home.

I’d suggest, besides removing anything in the machine that isn’t attached. This can be the table/honeycomb and it’s support bars. Don’t want debris flying around inside.

1. drain the coolant
    a. less mass in an unsupported structure (the inner coolant tube).
    b. no chance of it leaking into the electronics or mechanical areas
  2. Tie down the head (carriage) to the X axes. I wasn’t gentle.
    a. tie wrapped it to the Y gantry, to right side.
    b. look at what you’re doing … there really isn’t much you can hurt or bend
  3. Tie down the Y gantry, again there isn’t much that’s delicate here.
  4. Secure lid and all doors/access panels.

If you plan on moving it on one of it’s sides, I’d suggest removing all protruding hardware on that side, such as the lids handle if placing it face down.

If the floor is smooth, a moving blanket works great to lay it on and just slide it to it’s destination.

What’s going to harm it, is shock. If you drop it the last 18" to the floor, transport truck hitting a tree or whatever…

When I replaced my tube, it was supported in the box at each end, same as in the laser… If this is good enough to ship it from China, the tube is probably safer in it’s mounts than being handled and transported in non factory packaging.

What a great deal… be careful and have fun…

:smile_cat: