Ribbon Cable Help

Hey guys, the ribbon cable came out of the connector on the controller. Any ideas on how to connect it back to the connector? Can I just hot glue it? Any other ideas? Thanks!

I would carefully put it back on and then silicon or hot glue it.
Then test it with a meter on ohms to insure continuity from end to end.

I don’t know were to get a new cable so it has to be repaired.

Those connectors are designed to put pressure to hold the cable to the contacts, and if the top has broken it probably won’t be able to do that, and silicone or hot glue won’t do the same thing.

10-pin FPC connectors are commonly available in 0.5mm and 1mm pitch. You might end up having to solder the new connector to the board.

I don’t have an M2 nano board to compare to, but I think it might be this part or similar:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/52808-1070?qs=yYVs2tXBqMNrQp0aDzMMFA%3D%3D

In general, you can search mouser.com or digikey.com for FFC/FPC vertical 10-pin connectors and almost certainly find the match. Then you would need to solder it to the board.

Thats a 12 pin connector… the cable pushes into the slot.
Did the connector come off the board??

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/1-84534-2/A100331-ND/1893453

After reading the post again I see its the connector not the cable you need.

See this post:

1 Like

I think I have it figured out after reading these replies and doing some more research. I am upgrading the stock controller in my K40 to the Cohesion3d and I was disconnecting all of the cables from the stock controller. I pulled off the entire ribbon cable connector from the controller instead of just pulling the the ribbon cable out of the connector itself. It looks like I was supposed to just pull the ribbon cable out of the connector and the connector is supposed to remain on the board. It appears there are two types of K40s, one with laser ribbon cables and one with a different kind of laser cable. If anyone has the ribbon cable version and can confirm the ribbon cable is just pushed in to the connector on the Cohesion3d controller and friction holds it in place, I’d appreciate it. Thank you everyone for your replies and the help!

1 Like

@raykholo can tell you for sure, but for sure the body of the connector was meant to stay on the board. :slight_smile:

(There are variations on this kind of connector that have two pieces where you have to move one of the pieces to lock or unlock the ribbon cable, but as far as I know this is one that you just gently push the ribbon cable into.)