Recommendation for metric metal cutting service?

Hey, y’all.

I’m not having much luck finding a US based laser cutting service that offers 0.8mm (exactly) thickness stainless steel. One of my clients needs exactly that thickness and needs it to be US based.

If you have recommendations then I’d be grateful to hear them.

1 Like

Have you tried Send Cut Send? https://sendcutsend.com/

2 Likes

AFIK Space-X uses metric sheet stainless, 3mm, so metric sizes can be obtained, even in Texas.

Maybe you can call Elon and ask him who his suppliers are?

I’ll get my coat. (but hope you get some more helpful answers from US based folks)

They don’t cut metric sizes of sheet metal and 21 gauge isn’t close enough.

I was looking a few years ago at laser cutting shops near me, I no longer remember why, and I think this shop will let you provide the stock, if you have a source of 0.8mm stainless, even if they don’t have it to hand.

I might be wrong; I don’t see a mention one way or another on their site.

Well, I ordered from Xometry because they let me specify 0.8mm but when the parts arrived they were 22 gauge instead of 0.8mm. :man_facepalming:
I opened a support ticket but my hopes are low. Not a great first experience with Xometry.

Four days after I alerted Xometry to the error and they still can’t figure out what to do. They’ve escalated the ticket three times, each time the person asks whether I can accept 22 or 21 gauge, and when I say no they don’t know what to do.

So, yeah. I don’t know how they do with orders using imperial sized stock but I’ll never order another metric thickness part from them. Given how slow and disorganized the support has been I’ll look elsewhere before using Xometry again. For imperial thickness stock I’ve had great luck with SendCutSend and OSH Cut.

Do I really have to send the business overseas?! Is it time for me to start shopping for a laser cutter that can cut 0,8mm stainless? I don’t know where I’d put it but maybe my daughter wouldn’t mind it in her room. :smiley_cat:

Final note: They just let me know that the thickness was in tolerance so as far as they’re concerned the parts are correct. I assumed that the tolerances were for the cuts, not to allow them to use the wrong sheet stock! So, lesson learned, I guess.

Anyway, they kept the money and lost a customer. That’s not how I do business but I’m also not trying to run an online machining service so what do I know?

Are you able to find 0.8mm stock in the US?

Both Amazon and eBay have 304 stainless 0.8mm sheets. My usual online sellers (OnlineMetals.com and MetalSupermarkets.com) don’t carry metric sizes, though.

Closest I see at McMaster is .031" which is off by not quite 5 tenths. Closer than 21- or 22-gauge. And it’s DFARS-compliant, if that matters to your customer (since US-sourced is important to them).

When you say “exactly” of course there’s not… exactly… such a thing as “exactly” — what tolerance and precision? Is under 5 tenths too thick close enough?

The parts fit into a camera mechanism that is notoriously finicky and hard on this particular part. I sent the client a sample in 21 gauge and it was apparently too thin.

I suspect that the actual tolerance for thickness is +0/-0.002" but the client isn’t a machinist and I don’t have a camera in hand.

I put in an order with Ponoko as they have a location in Oakland CA and in the ordering process they let me switch into metric mode and choose exactly 0.8mm thick stock.

The US-based requirement is not, I gather, about certification like DFARS but I haven’t pressed for more info.

1 Like