Please help diagnose laser failure

There you go.

2 Likes

very kind of you, thank you very much indeed. Am I right in saying that the cable at the top with the most red on, is not connected to anything? As that looks like the one that wasn’t connected to anything on mine either, and I connected it thinking it had come loose.

Typical Chinese “dodgy”… looks like the wire on the right is “stuffed” into the one next to it.

So they are using one GND pin.

1 Like

I’ll get a pic of mine when I get in from work - as this looks very much how mine did but not how it does now and obviously, it needs to look like this. This has to be the reason I am experiencing these issues. I thought I was putting it right! Does that wire actually go into a connection?

Thank you so much for your help! This is virtually the last piece of the puzzle to get my machine fully up and running.

Yes it does, the only thing that was holding it was the hot glue, which I removed to take the picture :smile:

Oh no, sorry to have caused you an issue! Maybe a blessing so you can secure it properly…always look at the bright side :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Maybe this is helpful in rationalizing the mystery connection.

I captured the wiring on my K40 when I first got it.
https://www.digikey.com/schemeit/project/k40-wiring-GCKOUK0100Q0

Mine uses the ribbon cable, not the discrete wiring. I assume the end-stop signals are duplicated on the discrete wire connector with the ribbon connector.

Perhaps you can determine the correct wiring by the signal names and the connections on the end stop daughter cards.

Additionally here is a drawing of the end-stop daughter cards with associated signal names
https://www.digikey.com/schemeit/project/k40-endstop-tester-L91LPBG2001G

2 Likes

That’s my machine, can anyone see anything wrong with the wiring? As I’m struggling

You have a different controller to me, my wiring won’t help.

Do you have optical or mechanical endstops?

It’s a mini gerbil board, I switched it out the other day, I know where the wires go etc.

The cable you showed me earlier is the same as the one in the pic of it on its own

Forgot to add end stops are mechanical

Do you have a continuity tester? I’d check where wires go to which switch, the check the pin out of your board.

Check if your end stops are wired normally open or closed, and check to see what the board is expecting.

Do you just have a homing issue now?

They’re normally open I think? How do I check what the board is expecting?

Sorry for my ignorance

Yes it’s just the homing issue. Odd that it bones fine when it turns on but not after a job

Also when pressing ‘frame’ on lightburn it frames and returns, and stops at the stops

Hmmm… do a continuity test on the switches, check if they are open or closed normally. Then you’ll need to check the manual for your board, it should tell you.

Although its odd that it homes, but doesn’t after a job. Can you explain that some more? My laser just returns to its start position, it doesn’t do a homing cycle after a job.

So I emailed Dan at Awesome Tech and he has gotten back to me with a solution, I will be giving it a try later on and hopefully it does the trick.

By home, I mean going back to the far left position of the bed. It does that just fine when it turns on, when I press ‘frame’ on LB but just carries on, ignoring the stops, after it’s finished a job. Super weird.

Do please share the solution, so that the next person who runs into this problem can benefit! :slight_smile:

The two wires twisted together in the limit switch connector are common grounds, but they shouldn’t be in the centre position.

So you’ll need to push out the metal socket in your 5 pin connector and reposition to either position shown in the photo (1) or (2). The other two individual wires should be repositioned to align with the Y limit and X limit labels shown below.

The good news is that if the homing doesn’t work (because x and y limits are swapped over), then simply rotate the plug around 180 degrees and then re-insert in the plug in an offset position such that the common grounds connect to the other ground terminal and the two individual wires align with X limit and Y limit.

This is the reply, will see how it works out

2 Likes

Checked connections tonight and everything appears to be where it should be.

Going to take tomorrow to try and figure out what’s wrong