Omtech K40+ Adjustable Laser Head Lens Removal

Hello,

I purchased and received my Omtech K40+ laser yesterday. This isn’t my first K40 but it almost feels like it after getting this thing out of the box. This particular unit has an adjustable laser head. It appears that there is a threaded ring holding the larger lens in place. It looks like this is what I need to remove to get to the lens but there was no provided spanner wrench. I don’t want to go and take stuff apart and find that there is an easier way to clean these lenses. Does anyone else have this same adjustable head? What’s the best way to remove the lens?

Nice seeing a unit that actually comes with a lid interlock! And you probably already know about analog ammeters?

I have what I think is a similar head. Assuming I’m right about that, the red ring should turn to loosen the barrel. It can slide a bit to adjust focus, and should be able to slide all the way out for access to the lens. The ring should turn by hand pressure without a wrench. Maybe it was just tightened heavily for shipment to avoid coming apart?

Thanks for getting back with me so soon. I should have clarified. It’s not the red adjustable ring lens that I’m trying to remove and clean. I figured that one out already. It’s the lens at the top of the head with the adjustment screws that I would like to remove and clean. Take a look at my second picture of the head with the arrows. There are two opposing screwdriver slots. The ring is threaded. I take it I’m suppose to unscrew that ring but I don’t have a wrench to do it. I suppose I can try 3d printing a wrench/fitting or machine an aluminum fitting to get at it. Odd that one doesn’t come with the machine.

…Or do I take the adjustment angle head off and get to the lens that way?

My other K40 is a heavily modded one. It still works great. It’s a digital percentage unit but I added a milliamp meter to it. I was only interested in those k40+ units because it had some newer features…mainly a better gantry.

That’s not a lens, that’s a mirror! :grin: But what you are looking for is a lens wrench. There are a bunch of kinds. Since this retaining ring has slots, you probably want one that has replaceable ends.

For instance, I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2LRWXX8 which has three different kinds of working ends, including the flats you need for this.

They are fiddly and annoying to work with.

1 Like

I’m sorry. Yes, mirror. Regardless, I’ll make some quick-n-dirty thing today and see if it works. I actually tried tunking it with a flat screw driver blade but it seemed rather tight. I didn’t want to get anything out of alignment by hitting it harder. :wink:

Believe it or not, the mirrors are aligned quite well for just pulling it out of the box. All screws were hot glued. I removed all of that stuff thinking that I would have to re-align everything but so far I haven’t needed to touch anything. Well done, Omtech.

Thank you.

PS. I purchased the spanner from Amazon. Thanks for the link.

1 Like