Ok, my board was an M2Nano.

That photo doesn’t tell me much. (except your grounds are not connected, and that matters)

The VccB goes to your +5v power source, VccB goes to your 3.3v power source (The are to the power supplies, or wherever you are getting your power from, they’re NOT the fire signal(s).)
The Ground which is tied together for all Grounds goes to the empty holes below them - these should be tied together on the board, but make sure. All connected to each other should be the Smoothieboard (probably thru the power connectors), the K40 PSU (Pin 2 of the Power connector) and the Ground connections on the Shifter board. Since theres 2 of them, use one for the K40 PSU, and the other for the Smoothie Ground. (And wherever you are getting the 3.3v power, I think that’s from the Smoothie, so the 1 ground there will suffice.
Bottom line, make sure all grounds are tied together This is very important.ground pins A2,A3,A4 as well. Leave pins B2,B3,B4 unconnected.

If you are stealing 3.3v power from the Smoothie, VccA goes to any pin on the Smoothie marked “3v3” - there’s one in the 6-pack of pins next to the processor, it’s on a corner.

The pin on the shifter marked A1 goes to the Smoothieboard pin 2.4

The Pin on the shifter marked B2 goes to the “L” pin on the PSU (pin 4)

That’s it.

Ok… @Scott_Marshall so the vcca ground goes back to a ground pin on the smoothie board and the ground pin on vccb goes to the same ground I’m grounding the 24v line. Do I have that right?

It doesn’t matter, All grounds should be interconnected, the order doesn’t matter. The 2 grounds on the board are connected to each other there. just run a wire from one of them to the easiest to reach ground on the Smoothieboard (probably one of the 2 center screws on the power connectors)

You’re almost there… I give you a lot of credit for patience and sticking with it.

Scott

@Scott_Marshall sigh now the laser just stays on.
*Correction: The test fire was stuck. It’s still not firing :`(

Send me a shot of your wiring. It’s most likely something simple.

I hope to have my plug in level switchers ready to go in a week or so if you give up on this, but I think you’re only a wire or 2 from it working.

If I could just see what you’ve got hooked up, I think I can spot the error.

Scott

@Scott_Marshall

Ok Jerry, we got this.

I understand what you are thinking by the way that’s hooked up. It’s logical to think that the shifter goes “inline” with the data flow, and that’s true, but there’s more to it than that. You also have to power each side of the internal chip, each half gets it’s appropiate voltage.
We have signal wires of 3.3 and 5v and we have power wires also at 3.3 and 5V

You need more wires. I’m going to give you a wire by wire list of how to connect this

Wire#1
1st, take the wire on VccA and move it to A1 (this connects the 3.3v SIGNAL output of the SB to the input of the level shifter)

Wire#2
Then take the wire from VccB and move it to B1 (this connects the output of the level shifter to the laser fire input 5V SIGNAL) Confirm that this wire is connected to pin 4 (L) on the PSU

Wire #3
Now we need to add power to VccA. It needs to be 3.3v. I usually like to use an external supply here, but you CAN use internal SB 3.3v regulator and “steal” some power. Look at the center Smoothie. next to the processor there are a group of 6 pins. looking at the board with the USB connector on the right, the pin on the right corner will be marked 3v3. Use a magnifier to verify if needed. Connect this pin to VccA with a wire.

Wire #4
Now for the 5V power - it looks like the best place to get this is right on the Smoothie +5v connector. This should already be connected to Pin 3 of the PSU. (The photo is dark but it looks like you have the heavy yellow wire connected to the wrong pin, make sure it’s connected to PSU pin 3) That heavy yellow wire that connects PSU pin 3 goes to the Smoothie right most power connector (looking from the power input end)This is pin 4.
Once you’re sure that’s right, put your new wire into the Smoothie Power terminal #4 next to the heavy yellow one, the other end of this wire goes to VccB

Wire #5
One last thing. You need to connect pins A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7,A8 to the ground. If you don’t do this the shifter chip can oscillate (like feedback) and damage itself - at very least this can cause it to not work. so, use whatever technique you need to but ground those unused input pins.

Wire #6 - this is your existing ground wire and it looks to be connected correctly. it should go from the Gnd on the level shifter to pin 2 on the PSU (or to the 5v ground on the Smoothieboard)

Make sure your Smoothie power is connected correctly If you look at the power connector with the USB connector on top, on the left is the VBB (motor) power, and on the right is the +5v power.

Pin 1 is +24 power in and should go to pin 1 of the PSU,

Pin 2 is the 24vGround and should go to pin 2 of the PSU.-

-Pin 3 is the 5vGround) (it’s tied ti the +24v ground) and it also should be connected to PSU pin 2.

Pin 4 is the +5v Power in and should go to pin 3 of the PSU

Remember the Grounds (negative) are the center 2 connections. 24v is VBB and the +5v is covered up by the QC sticker, but is the right side and IGNORE THE SILKSCREEN + & - markings)

Be careful here, the silkscreening on the Smoothieboard is wrong, and an error here will destroy the Smoothieboard.

This should do it.

@Scott_Marshall

8e3048f9e208a93d5b9c1896f6147e43.jpeg

Was that burned with your laser? If so, Fast work!

Congratulations for having the patience to work thru that. Many people would have given up or started throwing tools.

Happy Lasering!

Scott.

@Scott_Marshall first thing ever burned with it!

Feels good huh?

I guess that’s why I like working with this stuff. It’s pretty satisfying when it actually works.
I’m fired up, and it’s not even my Laser!

You’ve only started, but you sure have proved your determination, I have no doubt you’ll be able to handle the challenges to come.

In no time, you will be the question answerer instead of the question asker.

Scott