New high power diode laser being offered on AliExpress

It’s in the small print, but they claim 40W equivalent intensity, not total power. The whole point is that the optics in these modules are very good, they claim a beam intensity at the focus that matches a 40W CO2 module. I believe them.

I have the 40W pro (FAC optics) blue light module from the same folks (laserTree), it cost 95 Euros total, and arrived in 6 days to the Netherlands… It is mounted in a 5040 elksmaker clone rig and It cut the following in less than an hour, it also cut the 3mm ply backplate (another hour…)

TL:DR:

My comparison is that I have used a 5W blue light module for several years but I upgraded a few months ago. The 40W module is considerably more effective. This is obvious to me when working with the same materials on the new module, the improvement is stark.

So; While I hanker for a proper 100W CO2 IR laser (it’s in my bucket list) I’m still able to do excellent work with a system that, frankly, cost less than many people pay just for shipping their CO2 units.

As to effectiveness:

With decent air assist it will cut plywood, I’ve done 5mm ply in extremis, I regularly do 2mm model ply cuts in 2 passes with minimal scoring. By ‘decent air assist’ I mean a high-pressure/flow pond airpump and a small nozzle right above the focus. I don’t have a good photo of this so here is the render of the part I designed and printed:

Finally, and crucially:

Having, and using z axis adjustment is a must, the module it cuts very well at the focus but is hopeless if it is off by even a few mm., so you need to get it keyed perfectly, and lower it between passes when cutting. Conversely; moving out of the focus a bit makes for better engraving (the focus is too tight, it’s impossible to avoid scan lines if you engrave at it).

2 Likes