New compiler for an old dog!

I compiled my first Arduino code (Marlin for my new 3D printer) on Microsoft’s Visual Studio Code. I found it a lot easier to use than the Arduino software. Not sure if it would run under Wine for you Linux folks, but I am sure you already have your favorite compiler.

1 Like

It’s actually running the exact same compiler underneath the VSCode IDE, and it’s using platformio to drive the compiler.

What’s weirder is that it runs natively on Linux.

Weirder still? It’s open source under the very permissive MIT license. I understand that MS has non-open-source parts that fit into VSCode, but I think that everything you need for Arduino under platformio under VSCode is open source.

(I still use platformio from the command line, but that’s my own oddity.)

2 Likes

Hi, if i understand correctly, it is possible to make arduino code outside of arduino environment and then use it directly in arduino?

Programming is not my speciality, but if it is possible to build the code out of blocks of functions it would be a lot easier.

At which program, link should I look at, if this is true?

[EDIT] Ok, nevermind, checked visual studio in google, figured it is just a better looking/suited code editor…

Somehow thought someone has come up with extra layer of interface for building arduino code.

1 Like