Need machining help (lathe) with experiment I plan to build

I am looking for someone that can do some free (i.e. no charge) machining on a lathe for an experiment that I plan to set up. I have 3" diameter stainless steel tubes (thin wall) less than 1 foot long and also 1/4" tubing and vacuum flange fittings from Swagelok that need machining and eventually welding (I also need to find people who can weld these together). I’m guessing the machining will be around 15 hours of work. I am setting up an interesting experiment and my hope is to build the core part of the experiment and use that to find investors. I have 30 years experience as a mechanical engineer and a good amount of experience designing things with tubing and fittings that require welding. I can pay for the materials. The timeframe is to do this about 4 months (or later) from now. If I can find 2 or 3 machinists that are interested then that will cover the situation where some of them are too busy at that time.
thank you

Any sort of compensation offered? I doubt you’ll find anyone bored enough to donate 15+ hours of machine shop time to a total internet stranger, but what do I know.

2 Likes

“I’d like people to sign up to do skilled work for me for free without telling them what it’s even about” is a pretty weird flex, and pushes some boundaries.

3 Likes

I agree, I should have described my experiment so that it makes more sense.

There are multiple groups that see small amounts of transmutation in metals from electric discharges. My plan is to reproduce some of these experiments. For example, in the Safire Project, they use high voltages at medium/low current and found new elements (namely calcium, barium and titanium) on their iron, nickel and tungsten anode after the electrical discharges. Those elements did not previously exist anywhere in their experimental set up and the presumption is that the calcium, barium and titanium were produced by transmutation from other metals inside the experiment:

Another group from India ran electrolysis experiments in water that showed elements on their electrode having isotopic ratios that did not match the naturally occurring isotopic ratios, see here:

Both groups carefully attempt to rule out conventional explanations such as contamination from inside or outside their experiment.

My plan is to attempt to reproduce one of these experiments except using simpler components to make it cheaper. I have done other experiments in the past that looked for excess heat (i.e higher thermal output than electrical input) which did not succeed. For this next experiment I need to reduce my costs so that I can fully finish it and attempt iterations if it does not initially work. I’ve been a following these types of experiments for many years and attempted some myself and so now I’m planning my next one.

The exact same text was also posted to Practical Machinist…

Their responses are spicy.

2 Likes

Thanks @trevorflowers for finding that.

This is not a CNC request (thus is off-topic for the category). We don’t allow commercial solicitation as majority/only participation on this free service, and as far as I can tell, this is a commercial solicitation that requests the amazingly low cost of free, so I interpret this as breaking the site rules in a weird new way. (Additionally, while we’ve never had to make up rules like this, Maker Forums is not really a place for pseudo-science, since it’s about making things, not making things up, so it’s really off-topic for the whole site.)

I believe that it is appropriate to lock this thread, so I’m going to do that.

2 Likes