Ned's Tool Rescue - Full Size Drill Press Edition

Busy weekend with other things, but got the aluminum info plates off the side and the rear of the head. This is so I can do the derusting on the head. Was kind of a pain in the ass because the plates were blind riveted with hardened steel rivets. None of my drill bits were up to the challenge of drilling them out, so I had to carefully grind them off with my rotary tool and grinding stone bits. But got them off with minimal damage.

3 Likes

Well it seems I’m back to working on this restoration. Wanted to get / borrow an arbor press to disassemble the chuck. Had a saved craigslist search going and today I scored a basically brand new $60 Harbor Freight 1 ton arbor press for $15.

4 Likes

That went fairly easily. The opening in the based of the arbor press was too small to engaged the outer sleeve of the chuck. I didn’t have any pipe big enough to make a collar to press against so I stacked some old railroad spikes I had laying around on each side. Worked like a charm. Made sure to note the order of the 3 jaws because the teeth are slightly staggered so the order matters.

2 Likes

Jealous…

1 Like

Every time I think I’m going to make an arbor press from scrap I have in the workshop, I end up using the hydraulic press instead. Occasionally I overdo it and break worse what I was trying to fix.

2 Likes

Up next for the chuck was to do some sanding and polishing to get rid of the rust pitting. To do this I create a tapered mandel on my wood lathe from a piece of walnut. The wood was turned to match each piece as I went. Slid the pieces on and then sanded with different grits of emery sandpaper, while it was turning, to remove most of the pitting. Polished with a wheel on my bench grinder.

Lubed up the inside parts with Super Lube multi purpose grease, reassembled and pressed back together

Pretty good restoration if I do say so myself :smiley:

4 Likes

That is im-press-ive!

3 Likes

Gave me a chuck-L!..

3 Likes

Nice find, some ppl have all the luck lol.

1 Like

hi, do you want to sell it to me?

This isn’t craigslist…

2 Likes