Magnetic bed mounting

I just received a PEI-coated spring steel bed surface.

I had expected that I would mount it by putting magnets into a PTFE extension from the bed that holds magnetically to the handle portion that sticks out beyond the bed dimensions, so that I could keep the magnets below their curie temperature even when printing at high temperature. But it shipped with a self-adhesive sheet of flexible magnetic material like a huge fridge magnet.

Is my original idea of making a PTFE handle crazy? Does any of that flexible magnetic material still work at 130⁰C? Is any of it a good thermal conductor?

Got an unexpectedly quick reply from the aliexpress seller that the magnetic mat is good to 130⁰C — I hope that’s accurate!

I’ve installed it and am doing a test print at 80⁰C, and at least at that temperature it is fine. It is clearly a bit of a thermal insulator, but not necessarily any worse than glass. After 5 minutes or so, my temperature reading on the top of the bed surface was 1⁰C lower than what the thermistor under the bed was reading.

The mat plus bed seems to be about the same thickness as the glass I removed; when I went to adjust Z homing height, I ended up not changing it at all.

2 Likes

Did you get the structured or the smooth plate? Any experience yet?
I’m also thinking of buying one of these, but not sure which one to take.

It’s dual-surface; powdered/textured on one side, and smooth (matte) on the other. I printed on the matte side last night and my print tore when I removed it, the adhesion was so strong.

1 Like