Long time no see. I just finished modifying Eric Lien  's awesome spindle holder.

Long time no see.

I just finished modifying @Eclsnowman 's awesome spindle holder. I created a 53mm version of it (for the quiet cut @Brandon_Satterfield offers).

Link to the 53mm version:

Link to the 80mm and the 65mm versions (courtesy of @Eclsnowman ).

:slight_smile: awesome design!

If that’s made of plastic, won’t you still see some flex in it no matter what you try? Or have you tested it and it really is ok with no flex? I’m curious.

@jlauer I haven’t seen any flex on the plastic part itself, and I’ve been using a plastic mount with a 80mm 1.5 kw watercooled spindle. I’ve cut up to 1/4" aluminum with pretty decent accuracy.

A year ago, before using the plastic mount (which was supposed to be temporary) I would have said that it wouldn’t work… LOL

Hmm. That’s pretty awesome then.

PLA is extremely rigid and if printed solid would crack before flexing. PETG, which Alex and Eric are quite fond of, has more give to it.

@raykholo I have my 80mm spindle version for the R7 printed in 5 perimeters of PETG. I flex the X axis C-Beam before the mount even thinks of deflection.

Great job Alex. That’s why I love putting out my source files on things like this. So many more people can make use of it in the way that they see a need for it.

@Eclsnowman no objections to that, but I was saying as a general statement that pla will snap first while petg does have a bit more give to it.

@raykholo oh I know. Sorry if my tone came across that way.

@Eclsnowman no problem whatsoever. I was clarifying the materials for the viewing audience.

I’m still making the 65mm version of this in pla for the HF spindle on my ox though.

Printer froze about a third of the way up last time I tried to print it :slight_smile:

Nice bit of modeling in solidworks @Alex_Lee .

I sent this to my friend to print as soon as I saw it. Can’t wait to get this on my OX and give it a whirl. Haven’t been happy with the down-n-dirty mount. I think the weak point is the z-axis in general on my machine - not sure how to stop it from flexing the entire axis

Installed this tonight on my OX with the 400w spindle. I had a number of issues with the design that hopefully we can fix for the next version. Wish there were through holes for the mounting bolts and the M5 lock nuts do not fit in the slots. There is no slot for the spindle wire so the spindle doesn’t seat all the way down. Spent about 4 hours modifying and mounting this but it’s very solid and I can wait to start cutting with it.

@Jace_Richardson one thing is it is not designed for locknuts. Open builds T-nuts go in that slot for clamping. I also heard about the wire issue. That will need to get added.

Doh! I thought about using T-nuts but for some reason I had it in my head that it needed to be regular nuts - would explain the issues I had. Note to self, don’t try to reengineer things after 9pm.

So adding a wire cutout and possibly holes in the front for pass through access to the mounting bolts (but I realized that kills the aesthetic so I’m on the fence about those, but without a super slim right-angled hex driver, that was very tedious).

I would update the model instead of just complaining but I haven’t got very far with 3d modeling yet.

Otherwise I love the mount! And it looks killer in black against my black OX. Will post photos of it tonight/tomorrow!

Please provide link to that here or tag us.

@Jace_Richardson show me a picture or some dimesions of where you think the wire cutout should go. I will work with Alex to update the model.

@Jace_Richardson ​ I trimmed some of the rubber grommet off around the wires and let the wire escape thru the gap

On mine I clamped the gap down so much I’d be afraid it’d crush the wires. Ideally I’d like to run the wire through the top middle mounting hole so I could run the wire inside the extrusion so it was hidden but alas didn’t think of that at the time. I’d still do that but not sure I can survive another round of removing and replacing those 9 inside bolts.

Maybe I’ll look for a micro right-angled drill at the hardware store on my way home tonight.