Laser begins firing on startup after C3D install

Good & important catch…

I also added that a Nano does not have this condition.

I am going to go look at the LPS schematics.
My working theory is that something is wrong with the LPS control and the C3D connection is somehow exacerbating it…

We also have to remember that we don’t have this problem with the M2 Nano board. When that is installed and the LV connector is plugged into the LPS and the Nano, laser does NOT fire at power on.

@donkjr I thought of something else that may or may not make a difference here.

On the C3D website I found 2 places where it discusses wiring the board to the K40.

This first link seems to be the place to start when installing the board. Plug n play. All 4 wires remain in the LV connector per these instructions.

Then there’s this one, discussing wiring to various types of LPS - notably pointing out NOT to use the 24V and 5V wires from the LV connector.

Which to follow…? Obviously based on my setup, I followed the 1st article.

Note:
I also assume that if we unplug everything but the AC connection from the LPS it DOES NOT fire at power up.

This is correct.

Shit: I assumed that since the C3D says “Not used” it meant that they were not connected. Then again if there is a config where the LPS power is used to power the C3D these have to be connected?

… connecting these supplies together can be a big problem.

Disconnect (pull out) the 24V and 5V pins from the C3D side of the cable and try again.

This shows both 4 pin power cable and 24V barrel connector plugged in a the same time.

Yet:

My assumption - based on the first article, which seems to be the one C3D points users to right away - is that leaving them connected was fine. Heck, even their own pictures show it that way.

Yet, as you pointed out, in another article they specifically say NOT to connect them??

The second seems clear that you do not want the LPS 24 & 5v connected to the C3D board.
Just pull those pins out and try it.

Just pulled the 24v and 5v pins out of the C3D side of the LV connector - laser fires at power on. Same result whether they are connected or not.

Let’s leave them out for now…

1 Like

Is it worth looking into changing to something like the HY-T50 or similar?

Until we figure out what is going on I cannot guarantee that it wont act the same.

Makin my head hurt!

The L signal is active low so it should be high at all times until something commands it to turn the laser on.

Mine too!

Radio silence over on the Cohesion3D support forums thus far. Looks like they are down a support person, so I’m expecting a delay in hearing from that side of the camp.

@donkjr @dougl Check out these threads… not sure if we are experiencing exactly the same thing they were and I’m not sure if they ever really resolved it, but it may help?

Sure looks and acts the same :thinking:
Doesn’t look like it was solved…

Have we traced the LPS-C3D LV cable and are sure that it’s wired point to point like this:

---- Wiring Table ----

LPS C3D Correct?
L laserfire Y/N
5V 5V Y/N
G G Y/N
24V 24V Y/N

The connector is not flipped on either side?

Instructions for filling in the table(s) above:

• For each table requested: Highlight the table in this post
  • Then click “quote”
  • A new post will open or for an open post text will be inserted which includes the formatting of the table in place
  • Just modify the Y/N text to reflect your answer

The second of these seems to indicate problems with LV cable wiring and a bad optocoupler on the C3D. The solution seemed to be replaced optocoupler that drives that line??

@ray Can’t find schematics for this version board …help pls.

Yes, all connections trace properly.
24v and 5v not currently connected on the C3D side of the LV connector.

Please don’t tell me I am going to have to jump into soldering / desoldering things on this brand new board…

I don’t mind a good challenge, but Ray would have to provide some solid support if it came to this.