Laptop Camera Mirror

Saw this neat thing posted on twitter for redirecting your laptop camera to point down to a work surface.

Thingiverse files here:

I bet I could make a laser cut version as well :thinking:

2 Likes

You aren’t the only person to think about this, unless you contributed the SVGs:

The current downloadable versions are:
Macbook Air 13"
CTL Chromebook (11 3180)
Dell Chromebook (NL71TWB)
Laser Cut version in .SVG*

My wife has been asking about a document camera to help her remote-teach math…

1 Like

Yes, it looks like I’m doing more math teaching supporting work!

Not yet test-printed. If it works well, it’s meant to be easily customizable for different bezel thicknesses and to adjust to match preferred screen angle.

It’s not a print-in-place because that would not support an interference fit. Odly, it’s not print-in-place because a print-in-place has to be too loose for this to work! :relaxed:

2 Likes

First print overnight showed a significant set of changes to make for the second print, now underway.

1 Like

Second print works better, more changes coming!

2 Likes

Starting the fourth print, gets better each time!

I hate how long it takes for thingiverse to post a render of an SCAD file, but I’ve at least posted it on thingiverse now.

I wish youmagine supported customizer, but as far as I know thingiverse is the only site that does.

1 Like

Mirrors don’t arrive until tomorrow, but this print looks good.

1 Like

Thingiverse has gone all “Something went wrong” for me, so

1 Like
1 Like

Great job, well done sir!

3 Likes

I’m testing a modification intended to flexibly support a range of monitor thicknesses.

I switched filament for this test print, and grabbed one at random. Sadly, the “galaxy black” that I thought would be a nice match for a thinkpad appears to have some sort of flakes in it, which is fine when printing at normal speeds, but created an uneven surface to glue the mirror to and has left a few blobs so far. Nothing I can’t fix with a knife and chisel, but I think that I’ll go back to more normal filament for further experimentation.

2 Likes

Well, that worked pretty much not at all. Next iteration after work today. And not in galaxy black.

Though it is a beautiful match for my wife’s thinkpad, so maybe I’ll slow down for a final print once the design is dialed in!

1 Like

In a pinch a purported hack is to use tape, a pencil/pen and a CD/DVD/Blueray disc to make a Doc mirror.

1 Like

Iterated a few times before and after work, and I think it’s now looking pretty good. I’m not sure how much range of monitor thickness I can get from a single print, even with fairly tough PETG. But it’s now a more solid fit than what I had before. And now the lid should be able to move up to more than 180⁰ to use the web cam as a web cam. About 25g plus mirror.

Still just as customizable as before, but now it’s more likely to work to share it with a friend.

1 Like

As printed, with mirror installed:

Folded down to show the document camera mode:

Installed on a laptop screen, in document camera mode:

Flipped up to use the webcam:

3 Likes

Very cool!

1 Like

In today’s episode, we see ranges of thicknesses of monitor lids supported, from svelte (3mm) to gros (16mm). Lots of STLs uploaded to YouMagine and Thingiverse, as well as pushed to the Git repository.

And if you’ve ever wondered how you might use make to automate building variants of a design, I have a Makefile in place to generate them.

Also, there’s a gauge you can use to measure your monitor lid!

3 Likes

The latest versions of these parts have a laptop lid thickness range printed in them.

2 Likes

Interestingly, there has been zero comment activity on youmagine, and substantial comment activity on thingiverse. On thingiverse there were two suggestions to provide the mirror holder and clips as separate models, so I’ve updated it with separated files as well as individual files.

As before, it’s all automatically generated from a single scad file with make.

2 Likes