K40 Whisperer opens a blank version of my design

I am a newbie to K40 Whisperer.
I was happily using LaserDRW when after Yesterdays W!n10 update, nothing works. After trying everything, i found a post about the Whisperer Program.
I Installed it, with the USB Driver etc. and everything seems to be working.
However, when i do a simple design in Inkscape, save and import that into Whisperer, it either shows a Black Square or a clear white square, no image.
Can anybody help me?

Just as info, yes i have Initialized the laser and yes it moves my K40. if i drag the white or black square around the workspace, the laserhead also moves. so i am pretty sure they are communicating ok. i just cant seem to get any image to show in the app.

Thanks in advance,

Feel free to upload a sample .svg file here so that those here who know K40 Whisperer well can use it in case it’s helpful for diagnosing the problem.

1 Like

You can also try the test SVG file to see it it works. If it does, there is probably something going on with the files you create:

If the test SVG does not show correctly there is something else going wrong with K40 Whisperer or Inkscape.



Thanks for the reply.
I used that sample file, it works in the app.
I also opened the file in my Inkscape and saved it as another doc, it still worked in the Whisperer app. so I am a bit lost there. I uploaded a sample file on the previous reply.

My thought, it has to be Inkscape??

Would you look at that.
The image, which shows perfectly well in my Inkscape, wont show up here when i upload it ? mmm

When I download it and open it up, it’s blank. Open up the original version with a text editor on your own system. Does it look like this?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<!-- Created with Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) -->
<svg xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:cc="http://creativecommons.org/ns#" xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns:sodipodi="http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net/DTD/sodipodi-0.dtd" xmlns:inkscape="http://www.inkscape.org/namespaces/inkscape" width="101mm" height="101mm" viewBox="0 0 101 101" version="1.1" id="svg8" inkscape:version="0.92.4 (5da689c313, 2019-01-14)" sodipodi:docname="Vater Xmas b.svg">
  <defs id="defs2"/>
  <g inkscape:label="Layer 1" inkscape:groupmode="layer" id="layer1" transform="translate(409.7262,-245.89285)">

Hi all,
happy Sunday.
Ok, so lets start, it seems to all be working now, thank you for any and all assistance.

Because i was still using LaserDRW, the plugin that allowed me to save In LZR format only worked in Inkscape 0.92 !! yes i know, wow, when was that? Haha.

Anyway, Since i figured out that i dont HAVE to use LaserDRW and i dont necessarily need that idiot dongle plugged in, I downloaded and installed the latest stable version of InkScape.

Let me tell you, what a shock.
consider this topic solved and i will return to my desk and start learning.

I thought i was quite proficient in the old Inkscape. I managed to copy and recreate all the things thet were currently being done in my old version.

Have a fantastic day and once again, thanks for the advice.



Hi Michael,
when i looked through this and saw the references to the version … 0.92, i got the feeling this was where the issue was.
Thanks for the help


Hi all,
just a quick update, i am having so much fun.
thanks again for the assistance.

a bit of tweaking here and there and its engraving perfectly again.
here are a few tests i did.