K40 Accuracy? -- 6" drawn rectangle is cut 1/16" too long

I’m quite happy with CorelDraw (not the version that came with the printer, the purchased version).

After a couple of years cutting many, many projects, the only issue I’ve encountered is this one. Which is pretty easily fixed by remembering to scale objects before cutting when exact size matters. I can’t see it being worth my time to change to something else for designing. But, I don’t mind changing what’s between CorelDraw and the laser. I don’t use it for anything other than releasing the head and setting speed.

At the system level, I do 3d modelling in sketchup and export faces of things I want to cut to dxf, then import into CorelDraw.

I never engrave, except to playaround. Always just cut. This is mostly for making enclosures for electronic gadgets I design.

I do want a bigger cutting area and more power, but other than that, I’m quite happy

What other issues might I encounter?

I mostly do cutting as well and I found it to difficult to model and design dimensional components and then go through the export and conversion process.

I also initially used SketchUp and Corel. It seemed that I was constantly tinkering with scale and dimensions to get it right. It felt like every project I did had it own quirks caused by the conversions from multiple softwares.

I stopped using sketchup because they got rid of the free installed version and the online version they went to dropped features I was using. If I was going to pay $100’s for a CAD program I wanted it to have an integrated

CAM ability and output directly in gcode. I got a good deal on F360 and have not looked back.

I finally decided to set my toolchain to go directly to gcode that is why I converted the controller. I now use F360 and my designs which are Gcode can be cut on both my K40 and CNC router from the same design. Although I do a lot of simple stuff directly in Lightburn as it is so easy to use and has laser only features…

When Lightburn came out I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to use so it became my go to laser software.

All that said there are some users (I think Ned bing one of them) that do awesome work with the stock stuff… to each his own.

1 Like

Same experience with SketchUp. I started with it since it was free.

It was pretty big learning curve–I’d never done 3d modelling before. But, after I used it long enough to get pretty skilled in it, I was really disappointed the free, online version didn’t have what I needed.

So, I got the good deal on SketchUp Pro and went with that. I haven’t seen a reasonably good deal for F360. Is it big learning curve coming from SketchUp?

It is a big learning curve but it DOES way more in an integrated way. It even includes integration with Eagle.

I will not kid you, its takes a change in mentality as it is so rich an environment. It has every dimension of engineering and design available in one place so its is worth it in my opinion. All my conversion-export problems went away and things like “Printing” was not longer a draconian process.

I think I got the whole suite including Eagle for $150.

Wow! That IS a no brainer.

I think I paid more than that just for Eagle.

Good for you!

Looks like you can’t even buy a permanent license for F360 anymore. And, it’s $500 per year!

Am I missing something?

It was a special promotion at the start of the year.
Perhaps they will do it again … I hope.

Nedman had the answer way back in 10/19. I thought I tried switching to EMF instead of PLT, but doing that now solves the problem!

WMF fixes it too.

But, with either of these formats, a rectangle with hairline outline cuts twice. Is there a way to prevent this while still using EMF or WMF?

1 Like

Ok, I find the double line thing is a common issue that can be resolved by using a .01 as the line width (or filling the shape) I’ll try that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Glad I heard about meerk40t! I’ll be going that way if I can get an easy path between it and CorelDraw

1 Like

Earlier you wrote:

I had to do it sorry :)!

Saving svg from CorelDraw and reading it in meerk40t ought to work, I would think?

You can get a free hobby/maker license for F360.

2 Likes

But, it expires after a year. So, when you’ve used it long enough to really start getting skilled, then what? $500 per year.

1 Like

Hope so. But, I’ll have to use it some to figure out all the steps required. Asked about that on the meerk40t github site–maybe I can write a script or some VBA to run in CorelDraw to streamline the workflow.

Currently I understand that they have been letting you renew as a hobbyist annually at $0, but given the recent changes in scope in the free edition, there have certainly been people who feel like their investment in learning F360 is at the mercy of corporate whim. The latest F360 gratis product definition changes clearly resulted in an influx of interest in FreeCAD on the open source side, and in Alibre on the perpetual license (with optional annual maintenance fees for upgrades) proprietary side.

1 Like

Sorry for this thread digressing, but the comments on 3d CAD are helpful.

I won’t invest the time to really get skilled in using a complex tool and be at the mercy of subscription fee. Period. Been there, done that.

Paying $50 a month for Adobe tool suite and begrudging every penny of it. But, I invested SO much time and energy, getting good in the Premier Pro, LightRoom, and PhotoSho tools, I pay the bucks so I don’t have to start over again with something new like DaVinci. But, I rethink this several times a year…

So, for anything new, If I can’t buy a permanent license (or it’s free), I won’t consider it.

I do use FreeCad, but mostly just as file conversion to get into SU. I haven’t learned enough to use it for designing.

And, I really like KiCad (free) for pcb design as a replacement for Eagle. Some Eagle features I miss, but having 3d models for all the parts is really, really, nice for getting something that fits nicely in bigger system design. I wouldn’t pay a subscription fee for Eagle, at this point (but I have a permanent license).

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind paying for a (permanent) license. Support for SU pro is really awesome! I can ask a question and get answers within minutes. That’s worth a lot, especially when coming up the learning curve.

I’ll take a look a Alibre at some point. Thanks!

2 Likes

on_SoapboxWith(an_opinion);
{
The challenge is that software is expensive to support and keep fresh, I spent a career under this umbrella.
There is no such thing as free software… even open source has a cost.

I assume that all free software will eventually have a price attached. That price can show up as $$$ in the case of corporate offerings or perhaps availability of function, security, quality and support in open source.

In the case of corporate offering I am annoyed that companies do not seem to understand that most hobbyists will not routinely pay $500+ for design tools. For hobby users the switching cost is $0. The reluctance to investment in using a new tool that keeps them subscribed. Cad companies don’t seem to get that they are not loosing the cost of a pro license to hobby users. Keeping hobby users at a lower cost if almost free. Its money that they would not get anyway.

My fair price cost for hobby use is maxed at $200. So if they raise the price beyond my limit I simply leave. Forcing me to pay higher than my max incents me to learn a new tool.

I was one of the original users of SU when Google had it. I always wondered how Google could afford the development costs. Then when Trimble rendered the free version online without key features I contacted them and they rejected my plea to offer a hobby version at less $$ than the pro… so I would stay.

In the case of open source I have the greatest respect for the developers that put volunteer effort into open source but I got tired of trying to get support on problems and usage questions. In my experience the open source offerings are not always competitive in function and I worry about proper testing and security. That is not a criticism of open source developers rather an experience based observation.

So there is really no perpetual tool for a frugal hobby user of design software. For a lower cost we are always going to be a the mercy of having to move and learn a new tool … this is true for either corporate or open source offerings.

BTW perpetual licenses are a thing of the past. Online services are the preferred delivery method for software in most markets as cloud based software is easier to develop, test, deploy and maintain.

off_SoapboxBack(to_making);
}

2 Likes

You’re the OP, I think you have discretion to digress! :wink: As long as we’re digressing, I’ll help!

I agree about liking KiCad, though without the Eagle experience to compare. I picked it up some years ago for circuit design and since that time it went from definitely usable to really good IMHO. The new canvas made a huge difference in usability when it became stable enough.

I have a rather different perspective from @donkjr here on Free Software. I don’t see a huge correlation between quality and freedom in the software world overall. I’ve been in both the free and proprietary software worlds across my career, and I’ve been deep into a lot of free and proprietary code. Most of the best code I’ve seen has been open source, but overall there’s plenty of great code and plenty of terrible code in both worlds. Open source doesn’t guarantee quality any more than proprietary. When it comes to security, open source doesn’t guarantee security, but well-used open source is more likely to be secure than similar proprietary software. (I have years of experience with a primary job responsibility in software security in both free and proprietary software, so I’m not just pontificating from an armchair here.)

I will say that it’s not clear to me that I’ve overall gotten better support on problems and usage when paying a software license fee either. You pay one way or the other; time is famously money. I’d say with open source for which you are not paying $$ for support, you often have to invest substantial into making a good question, because no one is being paid to figure out what you are asking. On the other hand, I’ve noted that when I’m paying for software, I get much better and faster responses when I invest that effort in the question. So you might not want to invest that time and thus want someone to be paid to interpret the question, and I might choose to invest that time because I’m a control freak. :wink:

When it comes to perpetual licenses, Alibre and LightBurn are examples of intelligently splitting the difference: You are buying a perpetual license to the software you get now; but pay annually to get updates. (I’ll note that @LightBurn gets annoyed when people say that you have to pay an annual fee to use Lightburn.) This is matched reasonably to costs and so it is possible to build a sustainable business that way. This is really true both for proprietary and open source software. Red Hat does something like this, except that the base perpetual license for the underlying technology is provided universally and free of cost, but the product built on top of it is still sold and supported with a recurring fee.

Certainly there is not always an equivalent open source software offering for every proprietary offering; the reverse is of course also true.

I will note that learning some Solidworks made me better at FreeCAD and I’m glad to have access to both tools. Solidworks makes some things super easy, and it shows attention to detail on workflow that’s missing on FreeCAD. On the other hand, my impression is that it crashes more often than any beta version of FreeCAD I’ve ever run, and even when it doesn’t crash outright often ends up with bad internal state that magically is fixed by save/quit/restart. So it’s definitely more polished than FreeCAD, and workflow is faster, and I’ve seen some things work in Solidworks that don’t in FreeCAD (creating a shell is more reliable in Solidworks in my experience) but the quality story is more subtle than a simple binary comparison here. FreeCAD takes way more mouse clicks though! The UX is definitely not polished.

In the linkstage (realthunder) branch of freecad, I’ve so far found it easier to repair topological naming problems than in Solidworks. Solidworks models with topological problems just change shape and sometimes it takes me some spelunking to figure out what went wrong; in the freecad realthunder branch when there is an unavoidable topological naming problem, the model quits reacting and holds its old shape for each now-invalid node until you fix the problem from the first affected node. Makes debugging sane once you understand what it’s doing, IMHO.

(Opinions worth every penny you paid for them…)

1 Like

I have never know open source to go through the same rigor of security testing & certification as the typical enterprise offering. This is my experience from building the second and competing with the first. In fact we restricted use of open source because of this belief.

Woot. I called it. cheers and applause! I knew throwing in a bunch of fancy commands would pay dividends for routine problems.

3 Likes