Is this even remotely possible?

So, I have been using my X5SA to create some quite nice housings for a project at work, and I got thinking about how it would be really good if I could print in metal.

So, I have a couple of lasers at work, the first laser I bought is a K40 and it was brilliant to prove a concept, it was so good that it was soon upgraded to a nice 50W fibre laser,and then got relegated to a shelf in the store room…

So if I were to build a Z axis for the laser, along with a hopper and fill ‘scraper’ to ensure the powder was levelled between each layer, would I be able to print with aluminium powder?

This is not a question about how to design the possible printer, but before I start attacking what is a working laser, I just wanted to see if I am even close with the concept…

Now it could be that due to deadlines for a demonstration of a prototype system, I have had to print (on the X5SA) overnight 3 times this week, and so i have had to stay in the workshop to make sure it did not set on fire :fire:… So extreme lack of sleep may be affecting my judgement, and so I just wanted to run the idea past you all and get some comments from people who may have a better grip on reality than I have at this moment :thinking:

It even has a name: Direct Metal Laser Sintering — but you might want to look up challenges other attempts at DIY DMLS have run into.

For aluminum, I assume you would only do that in an inert gas environment, for instance…

That is a brilliant response, and gives me everything I need for now… Other than sleep, which I intend to catch up on as soon as I have eaten :grin:

And yes, you are right DMLS, but as I said, my mind is not at it best just now at the moment…

And yes, inert atmosphere would be needed, as with most welding processes. And I have a few bottles of argoshield heavy in the workshop. That is a mix of argon and CO2, in normal welding, the CO2 gives good penetration, and the argon gives good wetting characteristics. At least that is the case with conventional arc welding. Not sure how it would apply to a laser, but there is only one way to find out.

Over the Christmas holidays, I am building a dedicated R&D suite in the workshop to separate the comercial area from the interesting area. So once that is done, and the machine tools are all moved, I have a nice little after hours project to play with… I shall post some images of whatever the resulting prints look like.

1 Like

This thesis has information on shield gas selection for DLMS of 2xxx aluminum powder. Note that the experiments were done with a 500W Nd:Yag fiber laser. I am curious about whether your 50W fiber laser will have sufficient power to overcome thermal conduction for effective sintering.

This whole experiment is going to be interesting. One of my customers has a big GE machine that cost them a small fortune… And while I was in the workshop this morning, dazed with lack of sleep, and also suffering the effects of too many strong coffees, the idea started as a question, if this possible?.. I think it worth the experiment, and it would be quite cool if I can achieve any fusion at all. If I can achieve fusion and any form of quality, then it would be really funny to explain to the customer tha it was achieved using an old laser engraver and maybe £70 in parts :grin:

Thank you for the thesis, I shall read that tomorrow. It may also be that the shielding gas may be an important factor … But the most important thing about this is just to see if it is possible…
Having just looked at h abstract of he thesis, it shows the gas is important, and also it seems that like welding, the CO² does increase the energy absorption rate … So I am thinking that the characteristics of argoshield heavy would be beneficial in this experiment… We will find out more after Christmas.

1 Like