Hi, im Trevor from a First Robotics Team in Dover NH USA gwrobotics.net im

Hi, im Trevor from a First Robotics Team in Dover NH USA http://gwrobotics.net im looking for a good 3D printer for my teem and was wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations. we are looking for a 3D printer that can print abs and pla (heated bed), has a large print area (around 8x8x8) is either pre-assembled or very easy to build, and has a good print quality and speed, but most importantly it needs to be very affordable like $1,000 and below (we would be willing to pay a little more if it is necessary to get the best 3D printer for our team that will last us for a long time).

Thanks in advance

• Trevor

Hey Trevor.
You’ve asked one of those questions that might not deliver the answer you’re looking for I’m afraid - The definition of ‘good’ is one that is so subjective you’re likely to get a bunch of contradicting recommendations. In saying that and based upon your requirements above - the only printer I can think of that ticks all the boxes is this one : http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=44
Caveat - no personal experience with this and it’s a new kid on the block, but the company that makes it has done well with Kickstarters and it looks very sturdy.

What you might find more useful and get a better response from is to create a short-list of printers that might suit your needs and then ask what experience folks have had with them.

Oh, and in case you missed it, this might help with your short list: http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/

Thank you so much!!

Ultimaker , highest quality and fastest prints, I wore one on my back printing for two days while walking. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Now don’t get we wrong I have friends who work at MakerBot , SeeYouSeeMe and Ultimaker, Printerbot and as such I would never bad mouth them, but this is my opinion.

Ultimaker is the best 3D Printer out there as far as I’m concerned, it’s just I don’t think err have the money for one :frowning: unless they would give us a discount for education or something we are going to have to get one a little more affordable than that.

You can always ask them, explain it is for a school. They are great folks and good friends.

I’ll definitely ask, thanks!

Glad I could help!

I am not sure what education pricing they have but like I said it never hurts to ask.

Yeah, maybe they could sponser us, qr could put their logo on our banners, shirts, and ask our robots! Do you think they would go for it?

I am not sure but I can speak from experience they are great guys, if it can be done they will do it.

Thanks for all the great advice, in the off chance we cannot afford an Ultimaker Any other suggestions?

If you’re prepared to fork out 10 bucks, this might help:

Anecdotally, it’s supposed to be pretty thorough. Spoiler - The Ultimaker comes out on top :slight_smile:

If course it does :wink:

If we got a 3d printer kit and built it, what’s involved in calibrating one?

Also, what do you think about the Bukobot compared to the Ultimaker?

It depends on the kit or do you mean an Ulti kit?

ultimaker fully assembled vs bukobot fully assembled

@Trevor_Brooks Calibration - depends on the printer. If you are buying a kit, then the calibration process will be documented to various different degrees of thoroughness, the Lulzbot guys have a good reputation for thorough documentation and support. In general if you are careful in the assembly process and take time with calibration, you’ll have a working printer at the end of it.
No experience with the Bukobot but @Whosa_whatsis is it’s/one of it’s creator/s so maybe he can chip in here.