Hey guys, I want to try installing GRBL onto the smoothie board as i

Hey guys,

I want to try installing GRBL onto the smoothie board as i want to compare the raster speeds,

But I have no clue how to go about it? anyone point me in the right direction.

@Todd_Fleming your firmware bin seems to not be accessible anymore? is there a reason for that?

Cheers,

GitHub reports an internal error when downloading firmware.bin; hopefully they’ll fix it soon.

Installing it is the same as upgrading smoothieware; place grbl’s firmware.bin on your sdcard. Make sure your PC has a working sdcard reader before doing this; grbl doesn’t forward the sdcard to the PC like smootheware does.

To run smoothly you’ll have to use LW3’s grbl-buffer branch.

You’ll also have to strip lines that contain just S# from LW4’s raster output.

Thanks @Todd_Fleming ​ hopefully I can download it tomorrow.
How do I update the configuration? I doubt it reads the configuration file from smoothie?

Piggybacking on this, same question. What is the current compiled configuration? For the C3D Mini we need 2.5 as the pwm pin. The stepper signal pins are same as smoothieboard.

pwm is at 2.4 in the firmware.bin I posted. To change pins or other non-$ settings you have to edit grbl/config.h and rebuild. It needs the arm-none-eabi-gcc toolchain, along with make.

@Todd_Fleming How hard is it for you, to stay up to date with new grbl versions? Which version is grbl-lpc based on at the moment?

@cprezzi i think it is based on the 1.1?

Issue for me is i am not sure how to rebuild the file into a firmware.bin? I done a bit with my Um2 with the arduino software i think thats a hex file though?

@Todd_Fleming would you mind explaining a little for a noob? :slight_smile:

Clear it’s Grbl 1.1 but c, d, e or f? There was some important changes is 1.1e and f.

@cprezzi 1.1e.

@Bonne Wilce I hope someone will write up detailed build instructions for the various host OSes. If you’re familiar with building things on the command line, then see the build notes on the GH link you posted.

@Todd_Fleming i would if i could. :frowning:

I just updated it to 1.1f. There are now 2 .bin files: one supports PWM on 2.4 (tested) and the other on 2.5 (untested). https://github.com/gnea/grbl-LPC/releases/tag/beta03-v1.1f

super @Todd_Fleming ill test this tomorrow, really need a fix for rastering so i hope Grbl can be the answer. What pin should the fire pin be on this set up?

I leave the pot in place and connect the power supply’s L input to the transistor output on 2.4; no level converter or resistors needed. This is with a K40.

And the same for Cohesion3D, we just use pin 2.5 for L. No level shifters!

Our PSU works with 3.3V, so we have pin 0.26 set to high, for TH and 2.4 pwm to the in. do most k40s have an issue with the 3.3v?

On the K40, L gets connected to ground. So the positive voltage is irrelevant.

you connect the L to the laser GND and the IN to the 2.4 PWM pin on the smoothie?

No. You leave the pot connected to IN. You connect the L to the - mosfet output of 2.4. Done. Simple.