Hi all, brand new here!
I finally decided to take the plunge into the K40 world and am in the process of deciding what upgrades to do and how I am going to accomplish them. I have been spending lots of time researching the upgrades and while some things seem straightforward, other actions still make me scratch my head. Below I have included the K40 that I ordered as well as a “dream list” of things that I want to do to the machine. I haven’t received anything yet, but can’t wait to get started!
Here is the unit I ordered: 40W CO2 Laser Engraver - 8x12” Work Area - OMTech Laser
Here is the list of things that I would like to do:
- Remove digital panel and convert to analog
- Cohesion3D Board + Lightburn
- Lightburn Camera
- Remove stock exhaust and install blower at the end of the duct work
- Water flow gauge and temp sensor
- mA meter and potentiometer
- Digital display of power in V for easy tracking of settings for different materials
- Air assist (haven’t decided between 12v fan, compressor, or aquarium pump)
- Add a couple of PC cooling fans in the compartment with the LPS for good air flow
I also want to add on/off switches on the panel for the following:
- Air assist
- Water pump
- Laser engage
- Red dot (I would like to choose when this is on rather than constantly being on as I assume it will ship)
- LED lights (again, would like to be able to turn these on and off as desired)
- On/Off for PC pans in the LPS compartment
Momentary switch for:
- Laser test fire
My main questions at this point are:
How feasible is it to have master on/off switches for items like water pump, exhaust, air assist on the panel? I really would love to have the switches on the panel as opposed to turning them on/off from a power strip for example.
Is 1 additional power supply enough to power the accessories mentioned?
Is there anything on the stock LPS that would need to be changed/upgraded?
I am sure more questions will arise once I actually dig into this, but wanted to get ahead and continue my research while I wait.
I plan to follow some advice I saw on another thread and make a schematic of everything the way it is before I change anything to reference later if needed. I also plan to take plenty of photos for reference.
Thanks in advance for any and all tips or advice you may have!