Extruder/Hotend Question

So, as those who have read my introduction post will know, I have a Tronxy X5SA Pro on order and am waiting for delivery…

Although not entirely new to FDM printing, I am returning after quite a gap. The available printing technology has changed an awful lot, as has the amount of different printing materials.

So while I am waiting for my printer to arrive, I am looking at different extruders and Hotends. Before I get accused of being impatient, I have read that the supplied Hotend is not terribly stable, and so this would be my first modification anyway. But considering that my first FDM printer was made of laser cut plywood, I have very little experience in knowing what to choose. From what I have read, it would appear that direct drive is the preferred option now. And as far as the Hotend, that would depend on what material I want to print with. I want the option to print with the widest choice of materials. I want to be able to print models that can be used as valve bodies, housings, inlet manifolds etc using reinforced materials, and also just to print samples to check fitments so I would use PLA for that…

So after reading my ramble, what would you suggest would give me the best feed, temperature control and temperature range… At he lowest price :rofl:

Any comments will be gratefully received and read.

There’s so much it depends.

The extruder on that model these days is supposed to be a titan (or, knowing tronxy, a titan clone) and that’s probably a fine extruder for a printer that predates recent improvements in acceleration. There are lighter extruders today, but it was a good choice in a previous generation, and I used one on the printer that I rebuilt mostly from scratch on my tronxy x5s frame and with its motors.

If by “reinforced materials” you mean “with glass fiber or carbon fiber inside” you need a hardened nozzle. Many of those are filaments that should be printed in an enclosure, preferably a heated enclosure. But the hardened nozzles do not transmit heat as well as the brass ones. It’s a tradeoff. Do you want to easily change nozzles

Different types of filament have different coefficients of expansion, so there are limits to checking fitments.