Error CNC

Hello, my CNC is homemade and it is giving this error and it stops working. Can someone help me?
Exception in thread Thread-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Python27\lib\threading.py”, line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “C:\Python27\lib\threading.py”, line 754, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “C:\bCNC-0.9.911\Sender.py”, line 845, in serialIO
self.serial.write(b"?")
File “build\bdist.win-amd64\egg\serial\serialwin32.py”, line 323, in write
raise writeTimeoutError
SerialTimeoutException: Write timeout

Is this the first time you’ve powered it up?

Do you know that bCNC supports the firmware you installed on your controller?

I’m using an arduino nano ATmel AVR, bCNC 0.9.9.11 and python 2.7.15 on Windows 7. Sometimes it works for hours without giving an error and other times it crashes all the time. I changed the USB cable and it’s working now without any problems. Could it be the cable causing problems?

Change your USB cable for a very high quality one is our general first response to inconsistent communication errors. CNC is typically a very electrically “noisy” environment and there is huge variety in quality of USB cables for noise isolation.

1 Like

OK thanks.

I changed the cable and now it is showing alarm 1 and nothing else and other times it shows:Exception in thread Thread-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Python27\lib\threading.py”, line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “C:\Python27\lib\threading.py”, line 754, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “C:\bCNC-0.9.911\Sender.py”, line 1007, in serialIO
CNC.vars[“my”] = float(word[2])
ValueError: could not convert string to float: -

For errors from bCNC, you might want to use the bCNC discussion forums, where you’ll talk to folks with more specific knowledge of bCNC:

I expect you’ll need to say what version of bCNC you are running since that line doesn’t exist in the latest version I just looked at.