CNC machining on the rotation axis

Today, after a long time, I would like to introduce you to a new function in my program.

In the past, it was already possible to machine round components, but the machining options were limited. Now, however, it is possible to machine rotationally symmetrical components in a similar way to components machined on normal 3-axis machines. Machining methods such as CUT, POCKET, CHAMFER and even V_CARVE can now also be used on the rotary axis.

The video only provides a general overview of a possible process. Basic knowledge of how to use GrblGru is assumed. More detailed descriptions would have driven the length of the video to infinity.

Unfortunately, I do not yet have a suitable machine for such processing. The image sections shown in the video were kindly provided by a friend.

All the processes shown in the video can be reproduced in the simulation mode of GrblGru. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Have fun trying it out. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This would be an interesting addition to my wood lathe but I already to many projects behind.
Then again it might be better if it was a separate tool :thinking:

This sounds great. I read as much info as I could… BUT, It’s not made for Mac, and That is my goto platform, so I am left out of many of these control systems. I have a mini windows machine but its so far away from my router and it is weak sauce when it comes to this.

Stand-alone devices for different applications have their appeal, of course. But I think the most important step is to convert the main motor to a unit controlled by pulse and direction signals.
This offers so many new possibilities, not just for engraving.
For example, I will soon be converting my lathe in this way because I will then be able to cut threads comfortably.

Hmmm, you can have GrblGru calculate the GCode on the Windows system and then send it to your machine with a Mac GCodesender.

It should be setup for Linux and Mac.

Yes, of course you’re right.
If I were to start the program again today, I would design it in such a way that it would also be possible to run it under Linux.
But that wasn’t so easy at the time, and to be honest, I hadn’t thought about it.

An alternative would be to adapt the program for Linux.
I am not familiar with Linux, but a friend has found a way to run GrblGru under Linux Mint.
You can find the instructions on my website.

1 Like

I know that in the past you weren’t interested in making GrblGru open source, and of course it is totally your choice. However, the same Wine tool used to run the Windows binaries you build on Linux or MacOS includes a “winelib” tool that can be used to build native Linux binaries from Windows source, which would be particularly useful, for example, to run GrblGru on the Raspberry Pi. Since you don’t use Linux, I’d imagine that working on that port would not be interesting for you. But it might be interesting to someone else? Food for thought. :smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s not that I don’t appreciate open source. I always benefit from it.
But I think that GrblGru would be a very unfavorable project for this. One of the reasons for this is that I have spent many years creating a ‘software construction kit’ that I use from several programs. What’s more, the functions it contains have long been much better available in some form of Libs.
Changes in this common pool would force an infinite number of changes in my individual programs.
It was only when I separated the milling machine from the lathe that I realized the effort required to get everything running again.

To be honest, I don’t want to spend another year on pure software conversion work that I don’t really enjoy. :frowning:
I like standing in the workshop and trying out new things much better. :slight_smile:

I hope you have a little understanding for this, especially when you think about how many people would be interested in it.
In times when you can use Fusion 360 for free, the motivation to do something yourself is very small.

1 Like