Choosing Laser Power Supply: Cloudray or Lightobject?

Oh, I see what you see now that I actually click the link. $15 for the MYJG version. It’s sold by Cloudray and still shipping from China, they are just charging $5 for shipping embedded in the amazon price. I just checked, and the slow shipping that is $15 on Amazon is free shipping from Cloudray, so my rationale for not buying it was bad. Ordered direct and I’m now $10 poorer. :wink:

It’s obviously not ethernet; there’s no PHY on the board, so they are using CAT5. The RJ45 is directly wired to the same wires going to the unlabeled chip in the picture above. I didn’t trace the circuit to know what protocols are likely running across those wires. I’d guess SPI or I²C because traces are shared with the in-box display, which would basically rule out current-loop or differential serial. I doubt that it’s remoting sense resistors but I could be wrong.

Looking at the board in the box, there’s one unlabeled LCD driver chip, and I think the contrast pot on the left is in the middle of backlight power supply drive; there’s a heavy trace from pin 1 on the LCD driver chip down to the largest capacitor on the board which makes me guess it’s VCC, and a via next to the pin opposite that I’m guessing goes to GND on the other side of the board (I didn’t unscrew the LCD board when I did the partial tear-down). All that tells me its probably a serial connection, not remoting sense voltages.

But I don’t care enough to put a scope or logic analyzer on it. :smiling_face:

Here is cloudray’s instruction for how to use the remote potentiometer:

Yes, my guess is the unmarked chip is the pWM controller that all these supplies use.

Oh, you think the 16-pin board on the display unit is just a backlight driver? I haven’t found a 16-pin SOIC backlight driver that clearly matches that pinout though.

Cloudray have already shipped the display I ordered this morning. :slight_smile:

I was referring to the 16 pin chip on the LPS that is unmarked. I am guessing it is a TL494 pwm controller which has common use in these supplies. My guess is there is another micro in the display module to control the display… but guessing.

You were referring to
which isn’t really unmarked, it’s just bad lighting.

I can’t read this shot, but it’s clearly a TI so TL494 is reasonably likely.

By “unmarked chip” I I was referring to this chip on the display board:

Now that I’ve seen how one angle completely obscured the markings on the driver on the LPS, the one on the display board might not really be unmarked after all… Might just be terrible camera work in my basement shop!

1 Like

Arrived yesterday, in case anyone is curious about how long actual shipping took.

2 Likes