Choosing Laser Power Supply: Cloudray or Lightobject?

I’m looking at two possible laser power supplies for my DIY build that I appear to be getting serious about building…

$215 + unknown shipping from lightobject:
https://www.lightobject.com/Laser-Power-Supply/80W-90W-PWM-CO2-Laser-Power-Supply

$116 + unknown shipping from cloudray; $144 shipped in the US from several ebay sellers:

I can find manual online for the cloudray version, but not the lightobject version. Other than the lightobject looking cooler, it’s not obvious that it’s better. Is there something I’m missing here?

Could be a difference in warranty. I could not find the warranty on the Cloudray.

A cursory glance at the Cloudray supply looks like the standard mass produced laser supply. Quality has always been hit or miss on them. Not sure why the ones that have gone bad on me are the ones that come with the laser. The replacement for the K40 is still up and running. A second one that failed on my 60 watt was warrantied by the seller and it has been holding up ever since. I have a spare but have not had to use it.

I note that the LO version will be maxed out with an 80W W2 tube, whereas the DY13 is so named because it goes up to 130W AFAICT so I’d be running it at the low end of its design spec. Looks like about 40% markup for a 1 year warranty. Cloudray says their warranty is “fantastic” without anything about how long it is, and given the original etymology of the word “fantastic” maybe it’s true!

:wink:

Are Vevor supplies essentially the same inside as the Cloudray supplies?

I bought the Cloudray one with the display:

It’s very conveniant to have the display :wink:

Thanks!

Did the really use an ethernet port as a way to mount two LEDs on the board‽

Is the digital current reading accurate? It wouldn’t matter much for me (at this point) because my (current) design doesn’t let me mount the PS where the display would be visible anyway, but I’m curious since I know that in general the advice here has been to install an analog ammeter and not trust digital.

If I ever upgrade my power I would likely buy this supply. I would have recommended it earlier but could not find it. The one downside is that I have not opened one up and captured the internal circuitry so we don’t know what is in it.

I never really understood the function of the Ethernet port on this supply but I suspect it could be a serial control port perhaps for manufacturing.

I think the status display is useful and it doesn’t seem to increase the cost.

I wondered whether it was modbus. They have other supplies with modbus but I didn’t see any mention of it in the product listing… There is a more expensive supply with modbus and remote display, too.

It looked to me like the display added $4 to the cost when I followed the bread crumbs back and clicked on many of the items on that page.

Found it again. It doesn’t say “modbus”. I don’t know what “special serial port” is. Maybe SPI? It doesn’t say whether it runs modbus or something else at the protocol level.