XTool D1 Pro 20w Replacement Board?

Hi, there dear Maker friends,
I recently bought an XTool D1 Pro 20W Laser Cutter/Engraver with additional IR head for all metal engraving.
And after just one day of normal use, it stopped working out of the blue, it just wouldn’t turn on the next day, I plug It in turn on the switch, and nothing no signs of life except one small blue LED next to the SIM card slot, which I do not know what signifies.

I tried a different power brick, the one I got with IR head, I tried different power outlets, and ultimately tested the output of the power bricks and both show 24V as they should.

Now of course I contacted the manufacturer ASAP and told them the same thing, it is the weekend, so I might wait for their response a while, and I hope they will send me a replacement board since I just bought the machine and paid a not such a small price for it with all the add-ons.

But this got me thinking, could there be another board that I could use in place of the original one, something like a Smoothieboard, Cohesion3D, or some other GRLB type of board like something from OpenBuilds?

The gantry cinematics is no problem, what is bothering me is the Laser Head wiring.
You see their heads use some 9-pin connectors 2x 24V, 3xGND, 1xPWM, 1x3v3, 1xLaserID, and 1xFlame_ADC which I assume is their smoke detector, the 3v3, and Flame being absent from IR Head.
I have not seen this many pins on any other laser head and would not know how to wire it.

My Idea is that I could build a larger gantry and position the other head on it because the Xtool has a working area of only circa 400x400mm

Here you can see the pictures of the current board and the Laser Head pinouts.

Top Laser Head is the IR one.

You see this board died and is only displaying this blue light.

Anyone with more experience dares to help me solve this conundrum?

Perhaps when I get a new board I could send this one to some electrical magician/technician, and he could fix it, I assume it’s just some blown fuse since it doesn’t show any signs of charing or heat damage anywhere on the board.
I could then just use this fixed board for a new gantry and attach the other head.

But still wonder could this proposition be done with another controller board.

My perspective:

Try and get this one fixed, and build a larger machine when time and money permit:

• The head looks proprietary and I am guessing that it will be hard to get technical info.
  • The code is not open source so it would be hard to determine how the head is controlled. If you did find out, code modifications to an open-source controller would be necessary.
  • Google did not show anyone hacking this controller yet.

Replacing the controller on this frame:

• All but the Laser head is probably pretty straightforward.
  • Getting enough info on interfacing to the head looks like a challenge

Larger machine:

• Getting to a larger area is probably a big deal on this machine with this controller. It may be less expensive to just build a new machine with an available (open source) controller, firmware, and mechanical parts.

Note:

• The machine is an Xtool but the controller is marked MakeBlock.
  • MakeBlock sells the Xtool machine?
  • I don’t know if these are the same companies nor who actually makes the controller. It smells like MakeBlock makes the controller?
1 Like

As much as I have been able to inform myself, MakeBlock is a parent company, and Xtool is their brand for laser cutters and engravers.
I found on an OpenBuilds forum that someone was able to wire it to MKS DLC32 Board.
The original idea was to build a frame and buy an independent Laser head like the ones Endurance Lasers or OPTLasers, make. But their heads cost as much as this entire machine, and after extensive research and found that their performance does not really supersede the performance and capabilities of an XTool Machine. Their 20W Head costs up to three times cheaper, the only issue is it is for a closed system, and I was wondering and it must be possible to wire it to an open source control board.

If we can get the specs for the laser head wiring to the open source controller could be possible.

Can you post the link

1 Like

Sure, there are two threads that tackled this issue.

As you can see, I also posted there.

1 Like

I would not recommend trying to swap in a different controller. Given what the machine costs, and the “unique” features it offers, I would advise you pursue the issue with the vendor up to where they either send you a replacement control board, or exchange your entire machine.

1 Like

Not surprised to see the XTool user here since it might be hard finding the “beep gear” of the multi-meter and being a bit apprehensive touching the “fire line” of the power cord. :wink: Not to mention their troubleshooting a machine which will not power up ends at the power supply.

I know how to use a multimeter. Thank you
Turns out it bricked during automatic update. So manually flashing the firmware did the trick.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, @dougl comments were referring to the ugly linked troubleshooting guide, not you.

2 Likes

My apologies, my comment was a poor effort at a joke about the troubleshooting guide section I had linked to.

Happy to hear the real problem was a failed firmware update(hidden from the user?) and success was made doing a manual firmware update.

How did you manually update the firmware? Mine is currently flashing the blue light on the PCB board.

Through Xtool Creative Space, their official software, there is an option to manually update, just make sure to switch the button on the board that allows you to make an update.

Dear Voja,
The first link does not working.
Do you have other link?please
Thank you