Working on a script to simulate and visualize the effects of various Z artifacts

Working on a script to simulate and visualize the effects of various Z artifacts with different layer heights using the actual volumetric calculations. So far, I can simulate Z wobble, Z ribbing due to layer height rounding errors, filament diameter variation for a specified tolerance, and of course, the effect of the difference between the ideal and actual shape of the extruded threads.

Good stuff. Does this take into account multiple effects at the same time and the cross correlation between effects?
What journal will you publish the results in; the IEEE Transactions on Additive Manufacturing or the International Journal of 3D Printing?
I’m afraid you missed the call for papers for the Additive Manufacturing & 3D Printing conference on January 23rd http://www.am-conference.com/.

it’s completing your article, in a visual way !

I’m starting to think that this is something that an online calculator would be good for. Enter steps/mm, microstepping, and then get a “closest layer height” when you enter desired layer height.

Very cool. What will you use your results for?

This is very interesting. Demonstrating in a visual way that ultimate print accuracy is tied so closely to filament consistency. I think what would be most useful is some sort of in-situ realtime measurement with closed loop feedback system, similar to the idea of vehicle emission controlled by O2 sensor, but in this case it’s tied into the e_steps per mm. However, thinking on ways to accomplish that with the current extruder and hot end tech seems daunting