Which firmware are you using with LaserWeb4 (the most)?

Which firmware are you using with LaserWeb4 (the most)?

Starting with Smoothie but may move to grbl-LPC

Would love to try grbl-LPC on my Azteeg X5 GT that runs my R7 CNC. Has anyone gotten that running yet?

Selected smoothie but plan to move to grbl-LPC shortly to run the rasters.

Smoothie and tinyg

It seems that grbl-LPC is of interrest for some people. That motivates me to write a migration tutorial :thinking:

@cprezzi ​ is a migration tutorial about how to run grbl-lpc on a smoothie or how to edit the firmware to be used with smoothie compatible boards

I would use grbl-lpc but havent had time to flash it over properly. tried once and gave up as i had things to burn :slight_smile:

@Alex_Krause I thought about a step-by-step tutorial on how to install and configure grbl-LPC on smoothieboards.

@Domm434 Flashing grbl-LPC is as easy as writing firmware.bin to the SD card and booting the board with it.
Depending on your machine, you would probably have to adjust stepper directions, feeds, accelleration, endstopps, homing with the $settings of grbl. My precompiled bin’s have matching defaults for a K40.

My questions would be more how to config it to work properly with something like the X5 GT. The pins are different, and it has some additional features like a 0-10V output to drive VFD speed.

I wish I had a K40 to vote and to see the results… I do not want to pollute the poll by giving a false answer :stuck_out_tongue:

@Jeremie_Francois You can vote. The question is what you use with LaserWeb, not with K40 :wink:

@cprezzi thanks! Actually I meant I do not even own a laser cutter, but I follow LaserWeb anyway.
Namely, I use bcnc and grbl on a CNC and I know I should give LaserWeb a new try (well, CncWeb).
Now, I would be using grbl anyway, that’s what I selected :wink:

Is there an advantage to grbl-LPC over smoothiware?

@Richard_Betel Sure. Grbl-LPC is 3-4x faster on raster engraving + pause and feed overrides are immediate (do recalculate planer queue).

@cprezzi with regards to flashing GRBL-LPC onto a smoothieboard: is the only file required on the sd card the firmware.bin file? I can get laserweb4 to get a readout from it once but then detects no firmware and d/c’s. have tried all 4 versions that I found on github.

@Domm434 The Smoothieboard has the i2c stepper current chip so you need to use the version with i2c support. Place the firmware.bin on the sd card and hard reboot the board. After that, powercycle the board.
Before connecting you certainly need to adjust the USB port, because it will change.

I would love a tutorial… Esp. on migrating nice features like adding commands to pins and v.v.!

Started on GRBL, Moved to Smoothie, but found it slower the GRBL. Now i’m on GRBL-LPC and it is Incredibly fast.