When wiring stepper motors,

When wiring stepper motors, make sure the + and - leads are hooked up to the + and - pins on the board. I am not sure but I think I may have failed to do that. I have bad thrumming noises coming from my 2nd extruder motor. Others may be mis-wired too. It is harder to tell at high move rates. I suppose it may be why the noise on the trim-pots tuning does not sound like it does on my Shapeoko2 and why some tower carriages start moving erratically when the trim pot is set certain ways. I will have to play with the wiring later on to see one way or another.

For 4 wire steppers the only important thing is that the coil pairs are wired to pairs on the driver. As long as this is the case, swapping wires inside the pair just make the motor run backwards.
If you mix wires between coils it won’t run at all just sit in place and jitter.
If you get intermittent jittering it can either be a bad connector with a loose connection, or badly adjusted drivers.
I assume your using a Board with trim pots rather than digipots, depending on the motors and the drivers and the cooling on the drivers the former can be very sensitive to the setting, and too high and too low have almost identical behavior. They can be difficult to tune because the act of putting a screw driver in the trim pot changes the setting while it’s present. Your better off measuring the voltage and setting it by the data sheet.

@Justin_Moto man these algorithmic fake post spam bots are annoying.

A4892 driver with trim pot. It was smooth under the Rambo board but not under the MKS Base v1.6. I tried 1, 1/8 and 1/16 stepping and got the same results so I do not think the microstepping pins are set wrong in the firmware… I suppose I could have a crimp issue. The driver has nasty electrical clarity of waveform output vs desired waveform. It is a 4 wire stepper motor.

@Ryan_Carlyle I agree. We try to remove all that we can, but it gets nuts some days

Hello

It seems my wiring was fine. The problem was the trim pots. They are harder to tune on this board than on a gshield for an Arduino Uno.

You can actually tune a gshield using just a screw driver and an ear cable of hearing the whining. Make it whine and then just tune it away. You went too far if you get a rumble in the motors. I really wish my board was so easy.