When making rough cuts,

When making rough cuts, do you sometimes try to cut a certain distance from where you actually want to cut so that you have little to cut during the final cuts. I mean, if the right side of a wall that you want to make is at X30 and X40 would make the cut there, do you ever back off to X45 so that you do not have as much for when you cut at X40? I guess it would be a rough rough cut. I think it might make for neater edges as long as you do not edge up yanking out chips or wood fibers.

I use fusion 360 and its cam package allows you to first execute a rough cut, then do a finishing pass.

Now, the rough cut leaves 0.5 mm of stock, then the finishing pass only has to cut that much, making the finish smoother.

Depending on the part to be done, the DoC might be different between your roughing and finishing.

Hope that helps.

As for me, I use GWizard to calculate my feeds. I use “slot” values for roughing, then change for finishing which pretty much yields a different feed rate and DoC.

@Jean-Francois_Talbot it leaves 0.5mm of stock vertically or horizontally or both?

@NathanielStenzel horizontal and vertical depending on the cam operation.

@Jean-Francois_Talbot cool.

IIRC you do the rough and finish passes in reverse rotation too for even better result. Can’t remember wether you climb for roughing or for finishing though :confused:
Think I’ve read this on cnccookbook