What's you infill pattern of choice?

What’s you infill pattern of choice? Share you experience bellow :slight_smile:

I almost always use line, but I’m interested to hear others’ views.

Hexagon all the way!

Honeycomb/hexagonal is the slowest infill pattern.

I really like honeycomb, but I think it was not available in one of the slicers. I do not know if it was Slic3r or Cura that did not support it the last time I checked. I have not printed much in a while.

Which ever the infill type double thickness options would be preferred. The infill can be much stronger if twice the width. For honeycomb, it is because there is one honeycomb drawn against the wall of another one instead of them sharing walls.

Honeycomb I believe is the best for high shrinkage materials such as ABS. The zig zag provides shrink relief when the infill cools, preventing the outer perimeter walls from being pulled in.

@Eric_Moy Some slicers have even lower-warp options, like zig-zag. Or even Makerbot’s stupid Cat-fill and Shark-fill.

3D honeycomb is fine. (Slic3r)

Honeycomb looks nice, is the one in slic3r which prints on top of each other instead of just crossing at a point. Ok takes lots of filesize and long to print but its supirior to others. Just use line or rectlinear if it doesnt matter and does not need to be strong.

There is a professional test of some french institute, that compared different kinds of infills, amount of perimeters and infill-density in combination with each other. TLDR is:

• the more perimeter, the better.
  • everything over 70% infill is wasted
  • rectlinear is the strongest infill

@Rene_Jurack well does not comply with my experience. Rectlinear just crosses and does not bond the whole way on a line. Why should it be the steongest?

@Rene_Jurack got a reference? I would love to show this to people, as I always assumed rectlinear is stronger then honeycomb. Due to the corners of honeycomb not being perfectly attached to each other.
Even if it isn’t the strongest, I still like it for being quickest to print. I’m pretty sure it wins in strength vs print time.

I needed to search the article for myself, otherwise I would have posted it directly. Anyways, I found it, here it is: http://my3dmatter.com/influence-infill-layer-height-pattern/

Honeycomb shapes are often over-rated. For certain specific load orientations, it has the highest strength/weight ratio of any geometry, but ONLY in those specific load orientations. It’s really quite complicated for mechanical behavior… just changing the orientation the load is applied from will change the strength.

I would say honeycomb is good for parts used in compression or shear, but rectilinear will be better in tension.

My personal favorite for strength is S3D’s triangle fill. It’s three line directions printed on every layer so you get a fairly fast but dense triangle pattern and extremely high strength.

@Ryan_Carlyle if the triangle infill had a double wall, it would be even better.

@NathanielStenzel A single infill strand with double extrusion width (which you can easily have S3D do) is better than two adjacent strands of regular width. Just have to take the flow rate into account when selecting infill speed to make sure the extruder can keep up.

@NathanielStenzel in craftware you can do that