What software ( Gcode Sender) does everyone use for GRBL I've been using GRBL

What software ( Gcode Sender) does everyone use for GRBL I’ve been using GRBL controler from zapmaker, it works well enough but surely there’s better options?
Laserweb look promising but its Smoothie only? which is an option eventually (but not now) as is Mach3 I guess.
I found things like UGS
But what is everyone else using.

Post what you’re using if something else

I wonder if 3d printer software would drive a mill.

grbl controller is not bad its guts not great. things like when you want to set the distance to move an axis even though its in mm it seems to increment to random sizes ( making me think its still inches in the background)
or that if you stop a program it will lag endlessly to where the only way to stop it is the E button. But on a machine without endstops that sucks for resuming after say a broken bit.
Simply by virtue of the amount of development going into it and being forward compatible meaning I can change from grbl to smoothie I have to give Laserweb a try.

What I’d love to see support for I ringing a bell that magically makes a guy with a shopvac appear to clean up saw dust.

Aarrrggghhhh new firmware overwrites steps. Damn that was obvious, and you think I’d have written it down. I sure hope so just where.

So couldn’t find the steps and thought let me set micro stepping to match the default in grbl so this doesn’t happen next time. So set the XY easy and then when I saw how nice the motors where running I thought let me microstep t Z aswell. Worked it out all great and then thought better write it down this time. Thought where would be a good place to put it, realised the whiteboard… where written neatly was the the steps I’d been looking for.

Can I use lw to mill? Actually I am using chillipepr, but my machine is a router and I recently bought a laser, then I will have change the firmware between grbl 0.9j and 1.1e

+Peter van der Walt​ thanks a lot. I’ll try to use LW4 for milling and laser.

I use LinuxCNC so I voted for “other”.

I’ve been playing with ugs and laser web for a bit. I haven’t cut anything with either but have had it move around and cut air. There’s 1 thing in ugs I really like. It’s being able to jog with the number pad it lets you center the machine much easier than grbl control. Laserweb is a little harder to get running but it’s very promising some minor annoyances but a boatload more features.

Should maybe do a new poll with more option that better reflect what people may be using. Other seems a little vague

@Michael_Scholtz
I took the last line, “Post what you’re using if something else” to mean that if “other” was selected then leave a comment.

We need to get our home switches installed and a probe at @Mobile_Makerspace

bCNC is a good option too…

@Josh_Rhodes ​ I second that. Came back to bCNC after a long while and enjoy it really. Was also trying to get cncjs up and running but npm failed to install on my arch-linux.

LinuxCNC