What is the highest temperature that you've ever printed with?

What is the highest temperature that you’ve ever printed with?

Doing a survey to understand what max temperature we should manufacture our new heater at being able to reach to prevent a run-away hotend.

265 for pc using my Merlin hotend with an improved cooling

Approaching the 300C limit of my e3d, printing Petg as high as 280 sometimes.

320C with an E3Dv6 and Polycarb. Stuff made my ABS look like PLA compared to how much it warped.

For me, 280C for PC.

Highly-stressed aluminum starts to get scary when you get much over 300C.

300 is probably all you want. Thermistors start losing accuracy around there and will burn up above. Honestly, if you don’t have a heated bed on the small delta, you don’t need even that high, but 300c should be good.

Seems like 350C would be the limit that people print at with filaments.

@Griffin_Paquette Our hotend will sell individually as well, so I’m trying to get an overall understanding of limitations.

I totally understand where you are comin from. That’s why I would go to 300c. If you want to go to 350 that’s better but a different thermistor/thermocouples might be needed.

I’m with @Griffin_Paquette , anything that prints over 300C almost certainly requires a heated build chamber, and only an extremely tiny minority of users has any good reason to go that high. And around, what, 350C or so, you’ll hit the auto-ignition temperature of PLA. So you’re better off NOT allowing temps over 300C unless someone has specific plans to use the hot end for extreme materials. The question is, do you want to market this as a special super-capable hot end suitable for extreme printers, or serve the majority of users better with a heater that won’t light PLA on fire? Both are fine, just have to decide which way you want to go.

280, screws up the whole assembly

Add another vote for 300C.

That is to say that your heater should be able to heat to 300C before it starts losing heat to its surroundings faster than you can dump power into it under normal operating conditions, but should ideally reach that point not much higher than 300C. The thermistor (or whatever temperature sensor you use), on the other hand, should be able to read temperatures at least 20-50C above that point.

320°C, but i doubt that thermistor was still accurate. Will be going close to 400°C soon with the PT100-equipped E3D BigBox.

@Thomas_Sanladerer what will you print at 400c?

320C

@Tom_Martz tried contacting you on your site. I think your contact form is broken?

@Shai_Schechter Thanks, I reworked the contact page.

355c with PEEK filament. E3D with a thermocouple.