What is the current status on the SGX 3D-engine?

What is the current status on the SGX 3D-engine? Does it work with any of the recent kernels? 3.8 or 3.12? @Koen_Kooi or @Jason_Kridner do you guys know? @Oyvind_Dahl needs it to make a fancy gui (in python).

Still only working with 3.2, but @Prabindh_Sundareson might have updates.

not enough details! X11? Angstrom?
But SGX for 3.8 has been around for ages, and 3.12 has just been released - I’m cleaning up the recipes to be pushed to meta-ti asap…

@Elias_Bakken check out http://tigraphics.blogspot.com/2013/11/4q-2013-linux-graphics-sdk-release.html

@denix Yes, X11 and Angstrom. Has SGX for 3.8 been around for long? This is news to me and contrary to what most forums are saying. But good news indeed! @Jason_Kridner Yes, I got that from @Prabindh_Sundareson yesterday, looking into it now!

@denix Are there packages for 3.8, Angstrom, X11 available? And if so, what are they called?

I don’t know about Angstrom packages, but the recipes were/are in meta-ti layer. Unfortunately, X11/DRM was broken in the last version for 3.8 kernel and is being removed in the current version for 3.12 kernel (at least for now). That would explain why most forums claim no support for SGX when running X11. And that’s why I said “not enough details” about your original question…

@denix thanks for the reply! What are the options for getting SGX accelleration with X11 and 3.8? According to the release notes for the previous version, there seems to be support for both: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/RN_4_10_00_01#What_is_not_supported Am I reading that wrong?

@Elias_Bakken well, RelNotes say X11 was validated. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on this one way or another, as I don’t do X11 in our distro. Maybe @Prabindh_Sundareson can shed more light on this?

2 issues why we removed X11 support in latest - the build method is not good (need to copy DRM files from k tree to Graphics), and validation is done only with a filesystem provided in the SDK. You can give the earlier version a try.

@Prabindh_Sundareson thanks for your response, I’m trying to work through the instructions now. Have the patches for X11 support that were mentioned in the TI e2e forum been applied to the earlier versions? Ref: http://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/p/298596/1044552.aspx#1044552 I’m eager to get this working for 3.8 and I might help add some recipes if I get it working.

@Prabindh_Sundareson I’m looking at the source code for the pvrsrvkm and after enabling the GP7 timer in syslinux.c, you try to set the timer to non-posted mode. This requires a virtual to physical mapping of the memory something that fails (Oops), perhaps since it is already requested by the timer driver? What is the intention here? Does this work for anyone? Would it not be necessary to handle this through the GP timer driver?

Since it works with 3.12, can you post the crash log ? Also, are you using the same Makefiles with the same flags ?

@Prabindh_Sundareson I got it working. The GP timers are only for calculating frame-rate etc. right? Required some re-writing, but I will publish my altered code. Is there an ongoing effort in trying to implement this with Wayland? If there is, I want to be a part of it. If not I, am willing to (try to) take on the challenge.