WeMos D1 Mini USB NodeMcu Lua V3 CH340G Wireless Internet Develop Board ESP8266 Does

This is not a D1 mini, nor is it a D1, pretty sure its not a clone of any of the wemos boards at all. Very similar in style to the ‘NodeMCU’ boards. You can select 16M flash in the arduino IDe if you select ‘generic ESP8266 board’ as the type, but then you need to get all the settings right to match a nodemcu board style.

@Justin_Mitchell I have tried these options. The chip is an ESP8266EX and the clock frequency should match the Arduino options for the generic ESP8266. Also tried various baud rates.

@Brian_Lambert Now the community can correct me if I am wrong but in order to use Arduino/C++ with your device I believe you have to load the firmware allowing that to happen. As it stands now you are programming with old modem commands. As I stated I could have a complete misunderstanding of how this works. Worth checking out.
The Flasher I prefer is called:
NodeMCU Firmware Programmer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i2quyxRpK12HUKkp1

@Rud_Dog I have already tried the NodeMCU Firmware Programmer. I get the details of the two Macs but the flash starts and then times out.

@Rud_Dog Also, the board does not respond to any AT commands

From what I have been able to piece together is LUA is one way of programming the Device. You can not program using Arduino IDE if the device is loaded with LUA. And since you say the device(in your original comment) is LUA then the Arduino/IDE will not work with it. You will need to load the firmware allowing you to use the Arduino IDE.

@Rud_Dog Lua base firmware is NodeMCU firmware, Arduino can flash it but the board flash size isn’t supported by arduino IDE in tools section. I recomend to export bin from arduino IDE and flash it using esptool

@Rud_Dog nonsense, the programmer is built into ROM. Lua, AT commands, micropython, etc are all firmwares you can upload just like anything coded in the Arduino IDE. The problem is one of finding out how this board has been wired, what size flash chip it has, which auto reset/program method they used, things like that.

Starting point may be getting Comms to the programming rom working, use esptool (or similar cli tool) to query basic things like chip and flash Id. You may need to manually enter programming mode, hold the prog button whilst you hit reset. You can then let go as it only checks the pin status at reset time.

@Justin_Mitchell Thank you, I’ll give it a go.

@Justin_Mitchell Nonsense right back at your he does not have to do the button tango. The device looks to have the micro usb connection freeing him from having to do so. I do it all the time it is all done via and during the upload of the C++ sketch. That is only because I uploaded the firmware allowing me to use the Arduino/IDE which can not be used otherwise.

@Justin_Mitchell Using NodeMCU Flasher log reads “ACK received ok” but then times out. Using ESPTool to read chip ID, “communicating with CPU…” the dots go on forever. Tried all baud rates and combinations of board push buttons also tried taking gpi00 directly to gnd while pressing reset.

@Brian_Lambert If you cannot even get the chip IDs out, and you have ruled out basic os problems with serial drivers etc, then i would strongly suspect a faulty board unless you have any evidence to the contrary. If it was the 16M flash that most interested you may i suggest a D1 mini Pro, you can buy direct from the manufacturer via aliexpress, https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1331105

@Justin_Mitchell Thank you. I’ve ordered a new WeMos D1 mini and the supplier is going to replace the faulty board. So we’ll see have the replacement performs when it arrives.

@Bea_Zhou Thank you, but the cost of the board is so small that it is not worth repairing.

Received a replacement board which worked first time with Arduino IDE.
Anyone know how to use the full 32Mb with Arduino IDE.

There are some profiles in there for larger flash chips, and you can select it in the cusom-esp8266-module mode. but i think you are generally limited to 1M for code and the other 15M for SPIFFS file system

@Justin_Mitchell
Only uploads a sketch if I select the Wemos mini board then seems limited to 4M for code and 15M for SPIFFS. Although having said that when the basic blink sketch upload the Arduino IDE still displays
“Sketch uses 246327 bytes (23%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1044464 bytes.” Not maximum is 4M or am I missing something?