Weekend Project - A new workbench

My big project this weekend is building a new work bench for the shop. I have a serious storage issue, and figured a new bench with shelves underneath would go a long way to solving the storage woes.

The overall size is 4’ x 8’ with 2 levels of shelving underneath the top of the bench, giving me 64 sq ft of storage area. Construction is made with 3/4" sanded aspen plywood that I picked up at home depot locally. It will live in the centre of the shop with access on all sides, but I am installing casters on it, rated at 500 lbs each, giving me a total weigh capacity of 2000 lbs, with about 300lbs of that being the bench itself.

My CNC router will live at one end of the bench, and since it requires 220V AC for the spindle, I am building in a sub panel with both 220V and 110V circuits, it will be connected to a 40A breaker on my shop panel using a flexible cable and quick connect plug system. So The bench will have a dedicated 220V circuit and 2 110V circuits to plug power tools into.

I’ll post some pictures of the completed carcass later today, and then once I have the shelves and electrical installed, I’ll post some more pictures.

5 Likes

Forgot to buy the lag screws for the casters and will have to wait until Monday to attach them. So progress has ground to a halt for want of $10 worth of lag screws. But happy with the progress I have made. The basic bench will be ready tomorrow with just the electrical left to purchase and install.

5 Likes

Casters have been attached. It rolls surprisingly easily across the concrete floor, given it’s weight. Just need to make the shelves and install the electrical (which I am not sure of the final configuration so it will be a little while before I commit to a design)

2 Likes

This is what I put on my workbench

2 Likes