Web interface crashes CNC

Hi, been struggling for a few days with a large-ish CNC (1mx1.5m), being controlled by a Smoothieboard V1.

First, I have to run it via ethernet - USB disconnects when the spindle is running.

The board has recently been crashing while we do long CNC runs (> 1 hour). Crashing with no error message. Not responding to web requests, nor USB connections. Only way to recover is power down. Usually at an arc after a long single cutting command.

I went through the usual steps:

Check G-Code - remove any extraneous M commands.
Check SD card - G-Code not truncated.
I formatted the SD card, and swapped it for another - all with no change.
I updated to the latest CNC firmware.
I went through the config file, updating it to match the latest example.
I checked that triggering home switches did not halt the system.
I measured stepper driver temperatures to see they weren’t too hot.

Nothing worked, except shutting down the browser which was running the web interface.

Now I can complete jobs that are hours long.

As far as I can tell, all the browser is doing is triggering a periodic position report, but this seems to be enough to crash the latest version of CNC firmware when playing a file.

I’ll add an LCD interface to the setup so I can have a progress feedback while it is going (and maybe an error report in the next case?).

I was disappointed to find that I cannot stream through the ethernet interface via bCNC or UGS.

Anyway, thanks to those of you who post on these forums. It really helps when these problems creep in.

Imported from wikidot