USB PID VID are '0000'

So I’m not sure how it happened but the usb PID & VID are ‘0000’. I first connected it to a linux box and tested it out and setup a configuration, which all worked fine. Then I switched over to a windows box, where I had issues installing the driver. But I fixed that by re-installing windows. But, while I was successful at installing the driver, windows was reporting the smoothieboard as unknown device. I tried to manually select the driver but windows refused. So I looked at the details of the unknown device and it said that the PID & VID are 0000. Not sure how this happened but what would be the recommended way to set them back to the proper values?

thanks

Imported from wikidot

Also, I’ve updated to the latest firmware and that did not fix it.

Hi !

I see no recent changes that would do this, and I don’t see the problem on my board here.
Can you try with another windows machine ?
Can you also do a “lsusb” command in Linux and give us the result ?

Thanks.

Also do you have any other serial devices ( FTDI cable, Arduino ) connected to your Windows machine ?

PID and VID are not 0, you have a bricked FTDI casued by windows drivers, remove your ftdi, and fix it, google unbrick ftdi.

Bus 005 Device 061: ID 1d50:6015 OpenMoko, Inc. <— this is smoothie PID and VID are fine

As for the lsusb:
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 1d50:6015 OpenMoko, Inc.

I should have checked that first. So, it looks like it’s working fine on linux. I’m guessing the windows driver is pointing to the FTDI driver? and since it’s an atmel chip, ftdi says it’s 0000?

This may be your problem : 

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/

I’ve read that, and that was my first thought to this problem but the atmel STM chip is not some Chinese knock-off. So I would have thought that atmel would be safe. I’m guessing that the windows driver is the ftdi driver and not the atmel usb driver, would that be the problem?

So I tried a bunch of things, thinking it was the computer, then the os, and I ended up switching out the computer and running linux Debian Kde, latest. This still wasn’t solving the problem. I eventually found this: ubuntuforums.org ‘SLASH’ showthread.php?t=797789 which gave me this:

echo -1 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend

which fixed the problem after a reboot.

a better link: unix.stackexchange.com ‘SLASH’ questions/91027/how-to-disable-usb-autosuspend-on-kernel-3-7-10-or-above

So, while that fixed it briefly, I tried adding the auto detect and assign to smoothie0 on the linux drivers page. But this lead to the smoothie board not being detected again:

dmesg:

[  448.096021] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 10 using uhci_hcd
[  448.216020] usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[  448.440023] usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[  448.656023] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 11 using uhci_hcd
[  448.811092] usb 2-2: device descriptor read/all, error -71
[  448.924018] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 12 using uhci_hcd
[  449.332020] usb 2-2: device not accepting address 12, error -71
[  449.444020] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 13 using uhci_hcd
[  449.479117] usb 2-2: device descriptor read/8, error -71
[  449.607122] usb 2-2: device descriptor read/8, error -71
[  449.708032] hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2

a side note: I haven’t tried it on windows again due to the fear of the FTDI driver problem. but maybe once I get it working on linux I may try windows again.

Did you ever get a solution for this? I have the same problem, both PID and VID of 0000 and my dmsg output looks identical to yours and lsusb doesn’t even see it. There must be a way to force linux to recognize a device with PID and VID of 0000 :frowning:

-Jamie M.