USB Driver for Win7 and XP

I cannot get my smoothieboard to connect via USB to a Win7 or an XP OSs. I tried the fix listed on a previous issue without success. My board run great with my Win8.1 OS. I have more than one printer and would like to run the Smoothieboard on one of the older PCs I have. Win7 OS says Windows has found the best driver and the XP OS says there is a .inf problem. Any thoughts or links to drivers would be appreciated. I have tried all of the drivers on the Smoothie site and the drivers on the SD card that came with the board. I have the latest firmware loaded.

Thank you- Tim

Imported from wikidot

Hey.

Could you try this : http://smoothieware.org/troubleshooting#toc14

I wish it worked however I still get a message stating the serial device driver did not load properly and if I look in the hardware manager I still have a yellow alert on the Smoothie Serial under COM&LPT in the device manager. I cannot update the driver and thus am stuck. I do not get anywhere on my XP machine. Still works fine on Win8.1

Other ideas?

Thank you- for the help :slight_smile:

I am encountering the same problem that I can’t connect the smoothieboard to my windows 7 laptop. I think it may be related to the order of driver installation and plug-in the board. I installed the driver before connecting the board and they all worked. The only computer that I didn’t install the driver first before connecting the board is having problem. I’ve tried to manually install the driver but no luck. It says “Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. A service installation section in this INF is invalid.”

Is there a way to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Joseph

Has anyone had success figuring this out? I’m having what may be a related issue.

I did a fresh Windows 7 install on an ASUS laptop to use as a printer controller. I tried to run the driver installer but it failed at the end saying Device Driver not installed, try again. I realize now that I did have the Smoothie connected via USB to the laptop. I was able to run the driver installer manually and the driver was installed and the Smoothie USB reported “working”. But, when I attempt to connect to the smoothie from Repetier Host via USB, it won’t connect. I can connect to smoothie via TCP from RH but that does not help.

I have firmware that has the msd_disable option enabled (and it was tested from a Mac). I have this option set to false at this time. Arthur, the link you posted to troubleshooting, mentions to have this set to true. I’ll try that and report back.

Repetier has an option about RTS/DTS that you need to enable before it works with smoothie. Can you try finding/enabling that, and/or trying pronterface ?

626Pilot solved it: in Repetier Host set “Reset on Connect” to Disabled and protocol to ASCII.

That did the trick for me.

I forgot to mention, when I plug or unplug the smoothie from USB, I get the “friendly” Windows 7 device sound so the system is recognizing the board.

Having the same problem with a windows 7 32bit laptop. Works fine on my win 10 64bit desktop.

In device manager it shows up as Smoothie Serial under device status it reads as follows:

This Device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
A Service installation section in this INF is invalid
To Find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I have tried 1.0 and 1.1 I have un-installed it and re-installed it and it just won’t work

I also cannot run any of the EXE files on Windows 7 32bit… they all say the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. I have tried:
smoothieware-usb-driver-v1.1.exe
smoothieware-usb-driver-v1.0-x86.exe and even just for fun smoothieware-usb-driver-v1.0-x64.exe only the 64bit version should have given me this error, but all of them did.

Hi James , I have the same problem on an old 32bit computer.
How did you fixed this ?

Regards,
Daniel