Update Okay guys, good news/bad news sandwich.

Update

Okay guys, good news/bad news sandwich. @Alex_Lee is flying into Texas next week so that we can debut the Talos at a Christmas sales expo. The bad news is that all the v-rail we ordered for those printers is not going to make it in time, so those of ya’ll on the beta list are going to get pushed back by about 2 weeks because we need your rail. The good news is that you’re really not going to get a “beta unit”, it will be the full production version - however we still want your feedback once you get them. And, you’ll get a t-shirt because I’ll have more time to get them done. :slight_smile:

More bad news - we’re probably only going to be getting 40 units at most completed before Christmas, but considering that there are only 56 members in the group so far, you all have a good chance at getting one if you want to buy one. So here’s the skinny:

Price - I still haven’t finished running the numbers yet to figure out a final price - but we’re really trying to get the base model under $1000. (And, as you’ve seen from Alex’s posts, “base model” is kind of a misnomer.)

Plates - The first 15 sets were CNC’ed, and the next 20 sets were laser cut. I had my hands on all 400 pieces and they turned out beautifully, they’re at the powder coater now (getting coated red).

Pre-Orders - After the show next week, and once we know how many we have left in-hand for delivery before Christmas, Orders and Pre-Orders will go up on 3DSupplySource.com. You can have any color you want, as long as it’s red. :slight_smile:

@mk_b1 Just sent me a shipment of L-Cheapos for the show, and Alex and I are going to work on the Talos mount for it while he’s here. Oh, BTW, there’s a 3.5W version of the L-Cheapo now, it’ll be for sale soon too.

I’m still testing a new build plate material and results are promising. Once I’m satisfied, it will also go up on 3DSupplySource.com, along with all of the parts used in building the Talos, if you want to build your own.

Alex and I discussed a few priorities and tweaks tonight so the release of the source files is also going to be delayed until at least the end of November. Right now, we have hundreds of parts to cut, crimp, screw, and solder for next week; and we just don’t have time to get everything done. This is an awesome printer, and we don’t want to give you anything less.

Help? - We really need help putting together a user’s manual. I’ve created an outline in Google Docs here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ujcNWJZv9UHAeDpqn7Jkperf8vthYKIW8MpqsoZZgLs/edit?usp=sharing if anyone would like to contribute. Alex is working on the technical details related to the printer itself, so mostly in this document, I’m looking for good resources and links to include, as well as some of those basic things you wish someone had explained to you when you first started 3D printing. (Please link all references so I can clear it with the respective authors.) And, I’m drawing a blank on how to design the booth for the show. It’s 10x10 and a corner (I’ve never had a corner and it’s freaking me out.) I have nearly every retail display apparatus known to man, or I can borrow it, so any ideas? (I also have an addiction to the Ikea As-Is department, so I could build something out of parts if it’s not too complicated.)

Last thing I can think of right now - Assuming we have enough complete units next week, I’m trying to get the local news crews out so that we can donate a printer to the library. If that happens, the video will be posted here. :slight_smile:

@Ernesto_Martinez The box for the printer is 20x20x20, so shipping down under will be insane. You coming home for Christmas?

Hey I’m not in a hurry for mine OK?

Let me know if you need the STL’s. Also, here’s the L-Cheapo doing fast metal engraving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3qeo-mvK4U

Thanks for the update. Sounds like exciting times for the Talos! A 3.5W laser attachment would be amazing, @mk_b1 how do they compare to the originals?

Oh man… :frowning: that’s the down side of living down under… I wish I had a planned trip… How about selling me just the custom-made parts and I can try to source the rest if you send me a BOM?

@Ernesto_Martinez You’re a good friend, and more importantly a great contributor to the community. I will try to accommodate something with you once the dust settles!