Trying my new nozzle design, it seems speed is ok.

Trying my new nozzle design, it seems speed is ok. This is using a 0.2mm airbrush nozzle and a 0.4mm layer height.

http://youtu.be/9urSGf5m51A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urSGf5m51A

…0.2mm nozzle, at 0.4mm layer height… something sounds fishy about that.

@ThantiK Skeinforge doesn’t care what nozzle size you have, the maximum i ever tried with a 0.2 nozzle was a whole mm of lyer height, that turned out to be rubbish of course, but the first couple of layers were actually useable.

I’m aware that you can put wrong settings into skeinforge and it’ll just kind of go with it. The general rule though, is 80% of nozzle size to layer height.

@ThantiK Check my photos. i uploaded what i printed at 1mm layerheight with that nozzle.

I see - and the result of incorrect layer height is failure. I realize there is a small point at which you can get away with this by extruding more filament to make up the difference, but it’s not a good practice.

I wouldn’t use it for precision prints, but it beats changing nozzles to print coarse stuff.

Interesting, glad to see an airbrush nozzle can work. When i was trying to piece together a print head a few weeks ago I had spent a few minutes staring at one I had in a parts bin and wondering if it was suitable.

Airbrush nozzle… interesting idea!

Strange combo of params. How wide is the tip of the nozzle? That’s the bit you want layer height less than, not the nozzle hole diameter…

Why?
Where does for you the width of slanted nozzle actually end?

@Dave_Durant The tip of the 0.2mm nozzle is 0.6mm wide on the outside. I don’t see this having any influence though.

Yes, i did print 0.2 walls, i had some warping issues though since the tiny walls did not adhere well to the printplate.
Check my “printed stuff” images, i just added an example print. The inner structure of the object is 0.2mm wide.
All printed in ABS @ 240°C

The size of useful thread widths you can do is the range between the diameter of the hole in the nozzle and the diameter of the solid, flat part around the hole.

If you’ve got a 0.2mm hole and the flat part is 0.6mm, you can tell your slicer to do any thread width between 0.2mm and 0.6mm.

It does not make sense to have a thread height greater than the thread width so your max thread height is also going to be about 0.6mm. If you try to go beyond 0.6mm width, the plastic will push up around the nozzle and cause a mess.

@Dave_Durant sounds right, going to 0.6 with a 0.2 nozzle is way enough anyway. The 1mm test i did was mostly for fun. Thanks for the info!